SSAS Multidimensional 2012 Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to this. So far I use visual studio 2012 and hit deploy button (after dropping the target database if it exists since I only do full deployments). I see they recommend to process data and indexes seperately, but I do not know how to do that and be able to time it etc. Currently I look at the duration results from "Deplyoyment Progress" in visual studio and I also have sql trace for sql server and analysis services. Currently the full deploy takes about 52-70 minutes and analysis services multidimensional database estimated size is 36639.75 MB. I have 8 partitions and during 95% of the duration all 8 processors available are at 100% which supposed to be good (I hope)

How do I deploy (process data and indexes etc) in stages, what tool do I use etc, is there a sample or a tutorial for it so that I can easily figure out the bottlenecks etc?

Thank you

Gokhan Varol

Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Deployment and Processing are 2 separate tasks...

deployment involves creating the objects (database, cubes, dimensions, measure groups, partitions, roles, etc) on the SSAS server.

processing involves loading data into the objects on the SSAS server.

By default, SSAS projects are configured to "process" after deployment.  You can turn this off so that a deploy is simply a deploy.

Both deployment and processing are very long subjects...my advice would be to start reading here on processing:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174860(v=sql.110).aspx

BI Developer and lover of data (Blog | Twitter)

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Which tool can do more granular processing ( process index etc). Can visual studio do that or it has to be xml scripted and put into ssis or?

Can I create a sql agent that does all that?

Gokhan Varol

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:17 PM
  • XMLA will give you the most control (most granularity).

You can execute XMLA from SSMS, SSIS, or a SQL Agent Job.

Here's an intro to doing it with SQL Agent Job:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff929186.aspx

BI Developer and lover of data (Blog | Twitter)

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Monday, August 5, 2013 5:02 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 6:15 PM