locked
Updated to IE8. Unable to debug silverlight development RRS feed

  • Question

  • Since I've update my developement box to IE 8, I haven't been able to debug my silverlight applications.

    When I start a debug session, it launches IE 8 http://localhost:8888 

    When my error occurs, a message box appears for Visual Studio Just In Time debugger. Then it wants me to select a debugger program.

    I also notice in my VS2008, that when I put a break point at the start of my Silverlight apps, the break point mouse over says that the break point will not currently be hit because there are no symbols loaded for this document.

    I can select one of the debuggers from the list, but I can only see the error and not check any of my variable values etc that are else where in the application. Why has this changed?

    Running  VS 2008 SP1, Silverlight 2 latest rtw version.

    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

  • I have validated on my own machine that uninstalling IE 8 fixes the problem.

    That is not to say that MS doesn't need to fix this in IE8 ASAP, they should - however I would highly recommend that for your development sanity you go back to IE 7 for the time being.

    One oddity that we here have noticed is that the issue seems related to how many windows are up -- one of my devs (who had IE8 on his machine while I did not) had not figured out that IE8 was the culprit but found a workaround that involved staying in a single window instead of popping up a new silverlight window.  (Before there were several pages in ASP.NET before you got to one that would open a new window with the silverlight app).  It seems like what might be happening is that IE8 assigns a new browser window to a different cpu.

    But in any case, I started seeing the issue upon installing IE8 and stopped seeing it immediately upon uninstalling IE8.  Pretty damning evidence if you ask me...

    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:26 PM

All replies

  • check this thread, hope it helps

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/f3fcb4fb-8a08-4fa0-8d58-9ed6f3eb1193

     and I think you could get more help from forum Visual Studio Debugger

    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:26 AM
  • It doesn't directly help no. I already had Silverlight tools for Visual Studio installed, which is what the fix recommends. The problems started when I got IE8.

     

    I'll browse that forum more.

    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:04 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. My silverlight debugging worked fine with IE7. After my update to IE8 my application does not hit my breakpoints anymore.

    I have VS2008 and Silverlight 3 RTW and SDK on a Vista Ultimate 32bit.

    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Have you guys solved this?  I am also having trouble debugging a Silverlight 3 app when running in IE8.

    I can successfully attach to the IE process with Visual Studio debugger. All looks ok, the break points are filled (meaning the symbols for the code have been loaded) ... but the break points are never hit. On the other hand, when running the same app in Firefox, the break points are being hit and I can debug the app as usual.

     Do you know what the issue is?

    Thanks.

    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:44 AM
  • I have validated on my own machine that uninstalling IE 8 fixes the problem.

    That is not to say that MS doesn't need to fix this in IE8 ASAP, they should - however I would highly recommend that for your development sanity you go back to IE 7 for the time being.

    One oddity that we here have noticed is that the issue seems related to how many windows are up -- one of my devs (who had IE8 on his machine while I did not) had not figured out that IE8 was the culprit but found a workaround that involved staying in a single window instead of popping up a new silverlight window.  (Before there were several pages in ASP.NET before you got to one that would open a new window with the silverlight app).  It seems like what might be happening is that IE8 assigns a new browser window to a different cpu.

    But in any case, I started seeing the issue upon installing IE8 and stopped seeing it immediately upon uninstalling IE8.  Pretty damning evidence if you ask me...

    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:26 PM