Using an SPD designed workflow, how can I start it manually, but not on the 1st step RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a 50 step workflow which could possibly take several months to complete. If the workflow fails at any time, I don't want users having to create a new item and go through all 50 steps of the workflow again.

My current thought is to add a field called StartStep into the main list and then check this value at the beginning of each step in the workflow. If the value of StartStep = 0 OR does match the current task name then do the actions with the 1st action always being to set StartStep to 0 so all the following steps are completed and not skipped.

This is a rather convoluted thing to do, but I can't think of any other way of doing it.

Thanks

Kristian Benning Sharepoint Newbie (Slightly better at VBA and SQL databases)
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:33 AM

Answers

• A status field, like the StartStep, is what I was going to recommend, but you already self-recommended.  So, pick your question as the answer. :)

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, May 20, 2011 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:47 PM

All replies

• A status field, like the StartStep, is what I was going to recommend, but you already self-recommended.  So, pick your question as the answer. :)

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, May 20, 2011 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply - Atleast I now know I'm not missing something obvious.

Kris

Kristian Benning Sharepoint Newbie (Slightly better at VBA and SQL databases)
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:08 PM