none
Bootstrap with Web2 - all code deleted

Question

• I am attempting to use some Twitter Bootstrap code.  After hours of experimentation, I finally put together a slide show. Apart from slow to open images, all was working well.

That was yesterday.  Today, when I opened the file to compress the images, I found that all Bootstrap code was gone: the css, the js, the content - all gone.  This also happened a week or two ago, but I thought that I had perhaps made a mistake, perhaps having deleted it by mistake.  But this time, I realise it must be a MS Expression quirk.

How do I protect Bootstrap code?

Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• I found a description of FP categories online:

"Categories You can use categories in FrontPage to organize files into logical groups. For example, you could classify all of the shopping-related files in your Web site in categories called Catalog and Products. You can use built-in categories like Business, Expense Report, and In Process, or create your own like Family Tree or Vacation Photos. You can also manage Web sites based on SharePoint Team Services by using categories."

If that's what he's talking about, it seems to be just for site organization and bookkeeping. In any event, there are no parallels in EW, or any other professional Webdev tool of my knowledge, so a workaround would be required.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Shipsview Friday, July 12, 2013 10:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:34 AM

All replies

• Bootstrap uses standard CSS and JavaScript just like any other design or framework so I doubt it's an EW quirk per se.

How are you using the code? On standard pages, with a DWT, ASP.Net MasterPage?

A little more information might help us find out what's going on..

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Thank you, Ian,

I am using a standard page.

I do not use DWT, but just amend a blank page which has Borders (left over from FrontPage) to form the frame of the page. The meta tags, css, etc, from this all remain intact.

William

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Don't use a page with FrontPage borders. Start with a fresh page.  What happens then?

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:43 PM
  • I opened a new html page, copied in the code I had extracted from a page source on the web (I know that not all the code would have been workable) and got a warning message saying that the content of a Microsoft FrontPage component had being overwritten, and would not be saved - and sure enough they were not saved - the Bootstrap elements have all been stripped out.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:18 PM
  • A new empty page would not have anything to do with a FrontPage component.  Do NOT copy anything to do with your FrontPage page.  Just put in the code you are using for your slideshow.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:52 PM
  • The slider works fine.  I have opened and closed Expression a few times and the code remain intact.

Having problems with the internet dropping out meantime!

William

Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:56 PM
  • You should consider removing all FrontPage components from your site.  Remember that FrontPage is ancient, the FrontPage Server Extensions (required for some FrontPage components to work) were dropped by MS many years ago, and you will need to do so at some time.

I have no idea what FrontPage component code conflicted with the slider, but it appears that something did.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Thank you, Ian.

I have built the page back up again, adding in component by component, closing Expression and closing the PC between each set, and all seems to be working.

There may be a line or two of code missing from the original which seems to have stabilised the page.  Here's hoping anyway.

As to deleting FrontPage stuff - I know!  But there are some things I like about FP that I am not clever enough to replicate in Expression; categories and page includes are two that spring to mind.  I do use DWT rather than Borders in another site.  I have about 3,000 pages, so there is a bit of work to be done.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Page includes are aleady in EW, and are not FrontPage components, requiring nothing other than EW to work.  You don't need to replace those.

I don't kwow what "categories" does, so can't comment on that.

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:18 PM xxxxx
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Just to be clear...If there is anything on your site that requires FPSEs, you could wake up tomorrow and be faced with a nonfunctioning site. No Server operating system has been able to run FPSEs since Windows Server 2008 R2 was released. This forum is littered with posts from people whose hosting provider upgraded servers with a new OS and they were screwed. And no hosting company ever gives advanced notice.

You have been on borrowed time for at least 5 years.

Tick...tick...tick...

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Again, Ian, thank you for your help.

Umm - have just tried includes again - and it worked!  Wonder what went wrong last time I experimented?

Re Categories... here is my code from FP for the source page:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>

<mso:CustomDocumentProperties>
    <mso:Categories msdt:dt="string">Biographies - A;Biographies - 20thC;</mso:Categories>
    <mso:Approval_x0020_Level msdt:dt="string"></mso:Approval_x0020_Level>
    <mso:Assigned_x0020_To msdt:dt="string">
    </mso:Assigned_x0020_To></mso:CustomDocumentProperties></xml><![endif]-->

and for the list page

<!--webbot bot="Category" S-Categories="Biographies - 20thC" S-Format="title,date,comment" S-Sort="date" -->

This allows me to categorize every page, and have lists of those pages elsewhere.  Similar to the Wikipedia syste.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Why not just create an include (or includes) with the category list(s)?  When you create a new page, add it to the appropriate include.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:06 PM
  • I found a description of FP categories online:

"Categories You can use categories in FrontPage to organize files into logical groups. For example, you could classify all of the shopping-related files in your Web site in categories called Catalog and Products. You can use built-in categories like Business, Expense Report, and In Process, or create your own like Family Tree or Vacation Photos. You can also manage Web sites based on SharePoint Team Services by using categories."

If that's what he's talking about, it seems to be just for site organization and bookkeeping. In any event, there are no parallels in EW, or any other professional Webdev tool of my knowledge, so a workaround would be required.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Shipsview Friday, July 12, 2013 10:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Since he refered to a "list page", Scott, and since the webot he shows causes a list of those pages to be displayed, I believe he is using it to create a page with a list of the pages in specific categories.  As I mentioned, include files (assuming the list is used more than once) would do the job.  If the list is only used once, nothing more than adding the page to the list page itself, rather than adding it to a category, would do the job.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Scott, your categories description is indeed the one in question.

Yes, I can just add each new page to the list of appropriate categories, but this is time consuming when I already have a system that does it for me.  Sadly, I am told this will not be supported in the future. 

My website is a family history site, with several thousand biographies. Each biography is categorised so that anyone looking for boxers, authors, clerics, etc, can easily see a list.

Wikipedia, as an example, works the same way.  Anyone familiar with Wikipedia will see how each page has a list of categories.  These build a list automatically on the category page, just as the old code I am using does.

Not all progress goes forward.

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Since he refered to a "list page", Scott, and since the webot he shows causes a list of those pages to be displayed, I believe he is using it to create a page with a list of the pages in specific categories.  As I mentioned, include files (assuming the list is used more than once) would do the job.  If the list is only used once, nothing more than adding the page to the list page itself, rather than adding it to a category, would do the job.
    As I believe that I already said, "In any event, there are no parallels in EW, or any other professional Webdev tool of my knowledge, so a workaround would be required." Your suggestion is one such workaround. One which the OP finds less than satisfactory, and, given his particular usage of the feature, I can see why.

• Edited by paladyn Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:16 AM ....
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:15 AM
  • "Not all progress goes forward."

Wellll...The fact is that 3,000 pages is well beyond the scope of a normal HTML site, for many reasons, including site management and maintenance. Once you knew that the site would get so large, you should have switched to a database-driven site (ASP.NET, a wiki, a CMS system, etc.). That's what those are for. But that decision should have been made at about page 200.

I know...shoulda, woulda, coulda. But it will not get any easier going forward. It will be harder to do at 4,000 pages than it is now. You can't blame progress for this predicament.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

• Edited by Bill Pearson Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:17 PM booger
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Scott, I believe you must think I'm psychic, since I replied to you prior to his description of the size of his site, or his comment about not wanting to use includes for what he is doing.  The webot illustrated in the earlier post simply lists pages with some information (date/comment) in that category.   :)

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:39 AM stop asking for this!!
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:37 AM
  • You know that I'm no apologist for FP by any means, but I have to say that in this particular case I can see the OP's point. Granted, as professionals we would handle this completely differently. That said, from his description, this site is basically a vanity site (or a club site, depending upon how you view "family history"/genealogy sites), and FP has sufficed to maintain it up until now without apparent difficulty, and would presumably continue to do so if he could use it.

It's not as if he were doing work-for-hire, or otherwise aspiring to professional standing, or trying to continue maintaining a business/ecommerce site. Not everyone needs the sophistication of EW. In his circumstances, if it were me, I would either upgrade Win7 to the Pro edition, to be able to run FP in XP mode, or just buy a cheap, used machine to run XP on to keep using FP. That's just me, but there you are...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:02 AM
  • A definite caution about sticking with FrontPage to use categories:  The categories feature requires FPSEs*.  Sticking with FP is one thing, but assuming the host will stick with FPSEs is risky.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281532

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:17 AM fon'dlkfgjfdlgs
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:14 AM