Active/Active clustering for Biztalk RRS feed

• Question

• Is Active/Active clustering for Biztalk possible? I am talking about share loading and at the same time has automatic failover capability.

We need not be talking about straight technology support in Biztalk, but perhaps also ways to provide such capabilities.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For MSMQ (Receive) requires Biztalk Host Clustering to ensure high-availability (Host Clustering however requires Windows Failover Clustering to be set up as well). See this thread and this document.

And forgive my ignorance, for these clustered adapters, like MSMQ, is the subsequent invoked orchestration also capable of failover at memory/process level?

Process level (orchestration), yes. Lets say when an orchestration starts executing on Machine A and due to any reason it suspends it can be activated again from the other Machine B and it will be started from the last persisted state. The state of the Orchestration is held in the BizTalk databases and the Host instance queues (Dehydrated, Active) are maintained in the BizTalk MsgBox DB. The clustered host instaces running on any server can resume the orchestration.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:52 AM

All replies

• BizTalk servers for HA are part of the Biztalk group. You dont need operating system level cluster (Windows server cluster) for BizTalk nodes. When the BizTalk servers are part of the BizTalk group they act as an Active/Active cluster which is for Both High availability (Failover) and Load Balancing.

If the host instances are clustered, the artifacts (orchestrations, ports) running under the clustered host instances are load balanced by BizTalk and the node having the less load will get the execution of the artifacts.

Abdul Rafay - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://abdulrafaysbiztalk.wordpress.com/
    Please mark this as answer if it helps.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

If a BizTalk group is configured with multiple BizTalk servers, high availability for the BizTalk application service is achieved by creating an instance of a BizTalk Host on multiple servers. In this scenario, if one of the host instances fails, host instances on other servers will take over processing duties for the failed host instance. Although this functionality provides high availability for the BizTalk application service, it does not provide high availability for BizTalk Server dependencies and is subject to certain limitations.

Best Regards, Vishnu
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Thanks for responding, but my understanding on HA and LB is different, what you described sounds like Load balancing, as I am thinking of Clustering as failover at process/thread level?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Clustering can be benefitial for adapters like MSMQ, POP3, and FTP; see for instance post by Kent Weare. For clustering BizTalk hosts,  you must have already configured at least two BizTalk Servers in a BizTalk group as members of a Windows Server cluster! On MSDN there is information how to do so. I also like to suggest to read this thread thoroughly as it will detail more information that can be helpful for understanding HA/LB. Having two BizTalk instances belonging to a group you will have implicit failover if one instance fails the other will take-over (it is like Abdul explains).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server

BizTalk
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Clustering can be benefitial for adapters like MSMQ, POP3, and FTP;

Thanks.

So I think my original question should be: For clustered adapters like MSMQ, FTP etc, is only one instance working at a time and the load is NOT distributed among the nodes? - i.e. Active/Passive, as this is what I understand from Kent's helpful article. And is there a way to go Active/Active for these clustered adapters?

And forgive my ignorance, for these clustered adapters, like MSMQ, is the subsequent invoked orchestration also capable of failover at memory/process level? And is it also "single" instanced like the adapters?

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

For MSMQ (Receive) requires Biztalk Host Clustering to ensure high-availability (Host Clustering however requires Windows Failover Clustering to be set up as well). See this thread and this document.

And forgive my ignorance, for these clustered adapters, like MSMQ, is the subsequent invoked orchestration also capable of failover at memory/process level?

Process level (orchestration), yes. Lets say when an orchestration starts executing on Machine A and due to any reason it suspends it can be activated again from the other Machine B and it will be started from the last persisted state. The state of the Orchestration is held in the BizTalk databases and the Host instance queues (Dehydrated, Active) are maintained in the BizTalk MsgBox DB. The clustered host instaces running on any server can resume the orchestration.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server

BizTalk
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:52 AM