Fraps like functionality for Metro style applications under Windows 8

Question

• Hi

I can't find the right place to post such question so I will try here...

Tools like Fraps work with games based on OpenGL or DirectX but doesn't work with simple Windows 8 Metro style games like "Cut The Rope" or "Pirates Loves Daisies". Yes I know that "Cut The Rope" and "Pirates Loves Daisies" are using different technologies like JavaScript and HTML5 canvas but I'm really curious is it possible to build Fraps like tool for such games (some kind of canvas hack?). I would like to do 2 things:
    1. Measure fps.
    2. Capture screenshots.

I was reading articles about the whole Fraps concept and intercepting calls to DirectX but I'm not sure if its gonna work with Metro applications. Maybe I'm just wasting my time. I have 2 questions for you guys:
    1. Do You think is it possible to build Fraps like tool that works with Metro style applications or games that are NOT using DirectX or OpenGL?
    2. Does messing around with dxgi.dll (or other dll) could help somehow?

Thanks
    Friday, May 11, 2012 10:41 AM

Answers

• There is no documented or supported way to do what Fraps does. Fraps relies on undocumented and unsupported behavior.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, June 01, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 5:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• There is no documented or supported way to do what Fraps does. Fraps relies on undocumented and unsupported behavior.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, June 01, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 5:46 PM
    Owner
  • It's not only possible but several already exist.  I contacted Fraps a couple of months ago and they say they are working on one. However, nothing yet.  So I searched for a replacement and found Bandicam.  There are others, but I tested the demo and it works great, even for Metro Apps.  I've been using it on my channel for about a month to demonstrate Windows 8 compatibility and tests of Windows 8 Apps.

Specifically you can take a look at my Windows 8 Fraps testing.  Just search for my OldGuyGeek on YouTube.  I have two channels.  The older channel (oneconnection) has a long discussion about using Fraps and the problems that users are having with it.  It also has a playlist on Bandicam, the sofware I've chosen to replace Fraps.  Bandicam can record (DirectX, OpenGL, Flash, Java, etc.)

I'm not a Graphics Developer so I can't give you any insights into how they do it, unsupported on not.  But if you go to codeforge, there are several examples you should be able to download to get you started.

I haven't received my verification email yet, so I can't put a link in this reply, but you should be able to find the videos.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Hi OldGuyGeek,

Do you realize that you bumped a thread from several pre-releases ago? That said, the techniques used by Fraps and similar tools are still not supported and are inappropriate to discuss in this forum.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:18 PM
    Owner