Tile notifications won't show RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing a very strange problem.

I made a clock app. It is updating the tile every minute via “ScheduledTileNotification”. Theoretically it is working great but I got quite a few complaints that it is not running consistently and that it is not showing anything in the tile most of the time. However it seemed to work for most people. I never experienced the problem myself so I didn’t know what to do about it.

Now I got myself a Surface. I experience the problem there. After a few days it just stops updating the tile. At first I thought it is too slow and I’m running into the background task time limit but that’s definitely not it.

If I use the “GetScheduledTileNotifications()” function I can see that the tiles are scheduled correctly every minute but they just won’t show in the tile. They vanish from the list after their “DeliveryTime” as expected but they never show.

The only thing making the tile update again I could find is to restart the Surface. The second it has booted it updates my tile and does so for a few days. Then it stops again.

Might this be a bug or is there something I haven’t thought of?

A few things about this:

- “TileUpdater.Setting == NotificationSetting.Enabled” seems to be always true.

- My app has a few tiles and it is happening to all of them at the same time.

- It doesn’t seem to be the “ScheduledTileNotification” because if I press a button in my app with “TileUpdater.Update(notification)” it won’t work either.

- It seems like it isn’t connected to any type of device. I got complaints from all sorts of computers. Low-end/high-end, laptop/tablet/desktop, Win 8.0/8.1, RT/Pro

Best Regards

Monday, January 6, 2014 12:11 AM

All replies

• did you checked the eventlog book if there are problems with the background task?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, January 6, 2014 7:30 AM
  • No, I didn't. Is there another task which updates a tile? Because as I said if I look at ”GetScheduledTileNotifications()” the notifications are scheduled correctly so my background task should be ok. And it won't update the tile if I do it with a button from within my app either.
    Monday, January 6, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Hi aiPatrick,

Interesting, "it won't update the tile if I do it with a button from within my app either.", may I understand this word as you could not update the tile even by a button click, which means tile update is not succeed.

I'm wondering if you tile xml is not fulfill the xml schema, check out Tile schema to validate if your tile meet the requirement.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

the button works as long as everything else works. When everything else stops the button also stops so I suppose everything is as it is supposed to.

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:03 PM