LaunchUriAsync open IE browser very slowly (IE app takes 15+ seconds to start)

Question

• I have an AppBarButton Tapped handler that uses LaunchUriAsync to open a normal http web site. Sometimes it takes 15+ seconds before IE opens. Other times IE opens up right away (very rarely and generally only if IE is already in split window mode with my app and IE sharing the screen).

Looking at Task Manager, I can see that it takes 15+ seconds before the IE app is started (if not already running). Once started, the app is displayed and loads the web site quickly.

Capabilities are set to "Internet (Client)". Adding "Internet (Client & Server)" or "Private Networks (Client & Server)" had no effect.

Below is the code. I've tried various choices for DesiredRemainingView (including passing no LauncherOptions at all).

I also tried using bing.com and google.com instead of my web site. It seems like bing.com is always fast but google.com suffered just like my web site (but maybe I was imagining that).

async private void Alphabet_Tapped(object sender, TappedRoutedEventArgs e)
    {
      Windows.System.LauncherOptions options = new Windows.System.LauncherOptions
      {
        DesiredRemainingView = Windows.UI.ViewManagement.ViewSizePreference.UseMinimum
      };

await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(@"http://ardulabs.com/police-radio-scanner-alphabet"), options);
    }

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Friday, March 6, 2015 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Arthur - this is not a development issue, but more of an OS or website issue.  There is nothing that would make Bing.com open faster than the equivalent content from any other website.  I suggest you try this on other machines to see if it reproduces there.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:04 PM
  • I think this is a dev issue because it is the LaunchUriAsync() call that is slow. Starting the IE browser manually starts instantly. Only when a web site is opened through LaunchUriAsync() is it slow.

I tested this on 4 different machines with the same results. Machines were: Core i7 desktop, Surface RT, Surface 2, and latest generation Atom tablet.

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:41 PM