MDS 2012 custom workflow dll rule doesn't work from Excel add-in RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a custom workflow dll that is configured to be called through a business rule on a condition based on member attributes being blank. The rule executes fine when the changes to the attributes are made through MDS Explorer web UI. However, when the changes are made through the mds excel add-in, the custom dll doesn't execute (implying that the rule isn't triggered).  

I looked at the forums and found that I should first click the Publish button and then the Apply Rules button. But, this doesn't make any difference. Other rules are working fine through excel and web UI. The only issue is the custom workflow/dll rule not triggering through excel add-in. 

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Monday, June 10, 2013 4:50 AM

Answers

• Yes. It doesn't contain any record. However, on further testing I found out that this happens only when I erase/blank out the value from an attribute in excel. If I add a new member without entering any value for the attribute, the rule triggers OK. So, that means when you erase/blank out an attribute in Explorer UI, it gets treated as blank (and that's why the rule is triggered) but in Excel, it doesn't get treated as blank (maybe it gets treated as NULL and that's probably why the rule isn't triggered).

The problem is the rule editor only lets you use blank to define trigger conditions; it doesn't provide NULL based conditions. I'm now looking at re-configuring the rule so it doesn't rely on blank. But, if anyone has other thoughts, I'll be more than happy to try them out.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamal

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:01 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the service broker queue for the business rule?

SQL Server logs?

MDS trace?

Half Scheidl

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Yes. It doesn't contain any record. However, on further testing I found out that this happens only when I erase/blank out the value from an attribute in excel. If I add a new member without entering any value for the attribute, the rule triggers OK. So, that means when you erase/blank out an attribute in Explorer UI, it gets treated as blank (and that's why the rule is triggered) but in Excel, it doesn't get treated as blank (maybe it gets treated as NULL and that's probably why the rule isn't triggered).

The problem is the rule editor only lets you use blank to define trigger conditions; it doesn't provide NULL based conditions. I'm now looking at re-configuring the rule so it doesn't rely on blank. But, if anyone has other thoughts, I'll be more than happy to try them out.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamal

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:01 PM