Keyboard Shortcuts changed in SSMS 2014?!? RRS feed

• Question

• According to this site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174205.aspx

CTRL+R should clear the Query Results window. This still works in SSMS 2012.

But in SSMS 2014, If you hit CTRL+R, you get the following in the lower left corner: "(CTRL+R) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord..."

What happened? I can't even find a Menu option for clearing the Results pane!

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005, MCITP BI Dev 2008 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Todd,

As other post, in SSMS 2014, we can use CTRL +R to show or hide the query results pane. According to your description, we need to verify if someone change the keyboard shortcut for show/hide results pane, or this issue occurs because the .vssettings file for SQL Server Management Studio is corrupted. You can reset the default keyboard mapping scheme to work around this issue as you post. For more information, you can review the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2860024/en-us

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Todd C Friday, June 27, 2014 11:27 AM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• But in SSMS 2014, If you hit CTRL+R, you get the following in the lower left corner: "(CTRL+R) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord..."

That sounds like a joke! Virus hit?

CTRL +R works correctly for me in SSMS 2014.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Design & Programming
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • The term "chord" is, I think, a musical reference, in that multiple notes are played at the same time to create a chord. C + E + G forms the C chord.

For SSMS and VS, chords are keystroke combinations. For example, this works in both SSMS and VS:

Highlight multiple lines of code, then hit CTRL+K, CTRL+C. The result is that all the highlighted lines get commented out. CTRL+K, CTRL+U un-comments the lines.

CTRL+R is supposed to hide the Results pane.

I found in Tools >> Options, Environment, Keyboard, there is a Reset button that fixed it for me.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005, MCITP BI Dev 2008 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Hi Todd,

As other post, in SSMS 2014, we can use CTRL +R to show or hide the query results pane. According to your description, we need to verify if someone change the keyboard shortcut for show/hide results pane, or this issue occurs because the .vssettings file for SQL Server Management Studio is corrupted. You can reset the default keyboard mapping scheme to work around this issue as you post. For more information, you can review the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2860024/en-us

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Todd C Friday, June 27, 2014 11:27 AM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Kalman that is not a joke :) actually I faced same scenario but after couple of days it was OK(believe me) . I did not cared much but I will try to find out more if I face this again.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Sofiya: Good find. Thanks.

While I did resolve the issue on my own, your article link outlined the exact steps I followed.

Friday, June 27, 2014 11:29 AM
  • I had the same problem in SSMS 2012 with CTRL-E for executing, so I switched to F5.  I found that is only occurred when I used the following setup (and then it happened a lot).

Hyper-V

LogmeIn

SSMS

For some reason, one of the apps seemed to be doing a sticky type key or something, and it is waiting to finish the "chord" or command like someone else explained.

Ann Weber

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:31 AM