Problem:*$#Device Independent Mobile Web Application#$* RRS feed

• Question

• User-891526991 posted
    Hi All
              Currently Iam developing a Mobile Web Application using ASP.Net 1.1, C#. It is working properly on Microsoft Mobile Explorer 3.0 , Openwave 7.1 simulator and Pocket PC. Its not working on Nokia 5100, Sony Ericsson T610, Motorola E398, Sagem, etc... WAP enabled browser simulators. Is it possible to develop a device independent mobile web application.

PROBLEM: When I specify "Action" for mobile forms, it is not working on  HTML browsers like Pocket PC, MME 3.0. If I specify Action property of LoginPage.aspx  as Homepage.aspx , I was blindly redirected to HomePage with out validating the User ID and Pasword on the devices--Nokia 5100, Sony Ericsson T610, Motorola E398, Sagem, etc.... How can I overcome this problem for every page in the application.
    Requirement: The web application should work on every device in the current market.(300 devices)

Pls suggest me a good solution
    Monday, November 7, 2005 5:02 AM

All replies

• User664499748 posted

Hi Rajesh, If the devices you want to support are different from the current set of supported devices [which seems to be the case, looking at your device list above], you can profile these devices online at http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx and add these profiles to web.config.

Thanks,

Kashif

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:09 AM
  • User-891526991 posted
    Hi Kashif
    Thank u so much
    Iam in a big trouble, I need some more help from u. My requirement is the mobile web application should work on every device that has been manufactured from the last two years- means almost it has to work on every device currently in the market. Is it neccessary
    to add the generated web.congif code from the profiling site to the web.config file in my aplication for each and every device??
    If so I need to add some hundreds of devices like this , Is there any single solution for this.???

Pls help me , Thanks in advance

Monday, November 14, 2005 6:03 AM
  • User66437288 posted
    Rajesh,

There are two different problems you have mentioned -

1. Device support and
    2. Action button working

See, the device support is something that is to be done by .NET and as far as i know the device profiling is done in two ways. Either you update the machine.config on your system folder or as and when you run the latest updates published by Microsoft for MMIT, it will automatically update that file for you. But still there are some devices available in the market which complies to some WML standards say 1.1 but are not profiled by default into the .NET. For such devices you need to do it manually or wait untill MS gives you update for this.

The other problem of action button, as i guess is something to do with your form code. ASP forms by default post to the same page so when you handle post back event you need to properly process the posted data and redirect your page to next desired page with redirect - throw exception flag turned off.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Avinash
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 4:33 AM