none
Windows WDF Driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am new to windows driver development.

I am building virtio drivers. My target versions are windows7 and windows server 2008.

1. My question is that I have installed Windows Visual Studio 2012 Express and WDK.

But when I try to build my driver. It throws a build Error saying 'Install WindowsModeDriver8.0'

Although I have installed WDK for Windows 8.

2. Secondly, the visual studio error guide tells to use 'Update VC++' from the Project Menu.

But thers's no such Option enlisted.

Any help is highly appreciated

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:15 AM

Answers

• You need to use vs PRO or higher. You can install pro or higher and use it for 90 days for free under the evaluation period. Once you install it, go to add/remove programs, select the wdk and choose the repair option

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:21 AM

All replies

• You need to use vs PRO or higher. You can install pro or higher and use it for 90 days for free under the evaluation period. Once you install it, go to add/remove programs, select the wdk and choose the repair option

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

I have installed the Pro.

Thereafter I installed WDK 7.1.

When I build my project, I set the 'Platform ToolSet' to WindowsKernelModeDriver8.0

I build with Error  : Code MSB8020

What I found is that The Platform Tool Set Directory as per this link should be :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh454232(v=vs.85).aspx

But when I browse through the directory as stated by the 'platform toolset directory path variable'. I see

no corresponding directory named 'WindowsKernelModeDriver8.0'

Please Help

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:04 AM
  • you need to install the win8 WDK, not the win7.1 WDK, to work with VS2012 natively

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks . That worked.

However currently trying to debug a build error MSB 6006: " stampinf.exe exited with code 1" in    

WindowsDriver8.0cc

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:32 AM
  • how did you create your driver project? file | new project | new kmdf project? did you convert a win7 sample? download a sample from msdn?

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Actually I already have a pre-created project file

https://github.com/YanVugenfirer/kvm-guest-drivers-windows

I am using the project file from the balloon directory'

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:02 AM