none
Visual Studio Community 2015 blurry on second monitor to Surface Pro 4

Question

• I bought a surface pro 4. Its own display is 2736×1824, scaling 200%. The external monitor I plugged in on HDMI is 1920x1080, scaling 100%. Other apps displays OK on the external monitor such as Chrome, but Visual Studio  was very blurry - so blurry that my eyes kept trying to refocus and became very tired very quickly. Everything within Visual Studio is the same blurry. So I basically had to turn off the large monitor and work only on the surface's own display. What can I do to fix it?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 10:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi silly_dude,

According to your description, your Visual Studio 2015 installed on your surface pro4 which displays with 2736×1824, scaling 200%. But your external monitor is 1920x1080, scaling 100%, which is different with your surface.

Visual Studio's display resolution is based on the monitor where it installed. For your situation, the Visual Studio should be display based on your surface pro monitor. So it is not suitable for your external monitor.

I suggest you change your external monitor's resolution to let it adapt to your Visual Studio's display.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei for your reply. But I do not understand. Every other software I use, Chrome, MySQL Work bench, etc., behave the same on both monitors, on very small fonts. Why can't Visual Studio do the same? Why do users have to buy a 2736x1824 monitor? What does Google and those open-source developers have that Microsoft doesn't?
    Wednesday, March 02, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Hi silly_dude,

This problem indeed annoying if I want to use a external monitor. Other communities also find this issue and have submit the problem to Visual Studio User Voice.

I suggest you vote and add comments for this feedback first. And if you want to develop with a large monitor, please try install Visual Studio to another machine which using large monitor.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/5429060-make-visual-studio-per-monitor-multi-monitor-dpi-a

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, March 03, 2016 1:46 AM
  • The short story is that VS 2015 will only render sharply to the primary display when there are multiple displays involved and they don't have the same scaling. What you can do for now, is to set the external display as the primary one, when it's connected. Of course connecting/disconnecting external display on the Surface products (I've got both the SP4 and SB) isn't a totally smooth procedure, requiring signing out/in in order for some apps to respond properly to the changed setup, so this isn't a perfect solution.

The longer story is that it should be something MS can address, the details of which I've mentioned in an answer to a post similar to yours. Briefly, the same problem happens with the current release version of Firefox, but has been resolved in the Nightly version. See my answer at the link below.

Cheers,

Adrian

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/30147-blurry-text-secondary-monitor-multi-resolution-multi-dpi-setup-post629189.html#post629189

Friday, April 08, 2016 4:06 AM
  • I too have the same problem. In my case the scaling is 100% on both monitors, but one monitor has a slightly higher resolution. Fonts on this monitors are very blurry to the point being useless.

This monitor with higher resolution is set as primary still it does not behave normally. When I installed Visual Studio I only had the other monitor with lower resolution.

Other applications work OK on both monitors.

I do not think that Weiwei's solution is the right answer. It is clearly the problem with Visual Studio ( and inf fact a major one) that MS should address.

• Edited by vadim_c Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:56 PM
  • It is just amazing. Really amazing. On the same Surface Pro 4 and same external monitor, all other apps that I am using, such as Google Chrome, MySQL Workbench, etc, work fine. Microsoft laid out the rules, all other software vendors conformed, but Microsoft themselves don't!
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:11 AM