Determine the user's version of Office / Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to save some user environment information and I am running into trouble finding a way to obtain Office 365 specific information.  How can I programmatically get the Subscription and Excel Version (full version) as displayed in About Excel?

I would like 4 pieces of information, really:

• How to simply detect whether it is Office 365 vs desktop version of Office
    • Human readable Version Name of the office product 
      (e.g. Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus vs Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016)
    • Human readable Version Identifier as displayed in 'About Excel'
      (e.g. Microsoft Excel 2016 MSO (16.0.9126.2259) 64-bit)
    • Office 365 Version and Channel
      (e.g. Version 1803 Semi-annual Channel

Thanks for any help...

Monday, September 17, 2018 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi ma1achai,

>>How to simply detect whether it is Office 365 vs desktop version of Office

>>Human readable Version Name of the office product

I'm not sure what language you are using, the following code determines the version of office by using Powershell.

foreach ($computer in (Get-Content "c:\computers.txt")){ write-verbose "Working on $computer..." -Verbose Invoke-Command -ComputerName "$Computer" -ScriptBlock { Get-ItemPropertyHKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\O365ProPlusRetail* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher } | export-csv C:\results.csv -Append -NoTypeInformation }

>>Human readable Version Identifier as displayed in 'About Excel'

Please use the following code in Powershell:

$excelPath =  'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE' 
    $excelProperty = Get-ItemProperty $excelPath 
    $myObject | Add-Member NoteProperty -Name "Excel Product Version" -Value $excelProperty.VersionInfo.ProductVersion 
    $myObject | Add-Member NoteProperty -Name "Excel File Version" $excelProperty.VersionInfo.FileVersion 

>> Office 365 Version and Channel

I'm not very clear about this issue. Can you describe it in more detail?

For more information, Please refer to the link below:

How to Detect Microsoft Office Version Name

Check MS Office Version in Powershell

Get Microsoft Office Product version using Powershell

Hopefully it helps you.

Best Regards,

Lina

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi ma1achai,

Thanks for you asking.Please remember to mark the replies(Include your solution) as answers if they helped and please help us close the thread.

Thank you for understanding. If you have any question, or update, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Lina

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:56 AM