Inconsistent report behavior - original and identical copy not behaving identically RRS feed

• Question

• User625999351 posted

I have what seems to be an absolutely bizarre problem.  I was having problems with an RDL.  When run in Preview mode (VS2010) the report was displaying only zeros in a set of table cells, even though the queries involved were returning expected numbers when run in SSMS.

I made a copy of the report.  I verified with VS's Compare that the original and copy were identical.  

The original still does not display the correct numbers.  The copy does.

Suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late breaking news.  It appears that my problem was the .rdl.data cache file.  Somehow I've not encountered this problem before.  

Delete the rdl.data file and the problem goes away.  At least I hope it's as simple as that.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:21 AM

Answers

• User2075212911 posted

Late breaking news.  It appears that my problem was the .rdl.data cache file.  Somehow I've not encountered this problem before.  

Delete the rdl.data file and the problem goes away.  At least I hope it's as simple as that.

Hi bchernick,

Thank you for sharing this issue with us.

By default SSRS will create files with extension .rdl.data to cache data. With it, we are always seeing the latest data in a report.

This problem comes about because SSRS is trying to speed up your reports. Whenever you run a report using exactly the same combination of

parameters (where there are any) as for the previous time you ran the report, you'll see cached data.

We can disable report caching to prevent this issue. Or we can also refresh the data for the report.

According to your solution deleting the cached data file.  many solutions comes from below link.

http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s313/data-cache.htm

Hope this helps. Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:18 AM