Access user control in Pocket PC IE RRS feed

• Question

• User-1374758930 posted

Hi,

I need to access a handheld device's GPS co-ordinates from a web mobile form/application.

I found that , the Windows Mobile 5.0 API, has methods to get GPS data as well as I found the GPS sample application which is windows based. I would want to invoke the same functionality by accessing a web mobile application on a handheld device with inbuilt GPS receiver.

I was able to access client machine's GPS data from a desktop IE using a usercontrol that inturn reads GPS data. I was able to download the Usercontrol to client machine by setting permissions. I would like to know if i could achieve this kind of functionality in a WEB MOBILE form browsed on Pocket IE.

Thanks, Sangeetha

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:36 AM

Answers

• User1439985827 posted
    It might be possible. Windows Mobile 5.0+ started supporting ActiveX in pocket IE, but there are some constraints, such as the required implementation of IObjectSafety. Because of the heavy limitations of Pocket IE and the Compact .NET Framework, I would probably recommend writing a client application rather than trying to host it in pocket IE.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:51 AM

All replies

• User1439985827 posted
    It might be possible. Windows Mobile 5.0+ started supporting ActiveX in pocket IE, but there are some constraints, such as the required implementation of IObjectSafety. Because of the heavy limitations of Pocket IE and the Compact .NET Framework, I would probably recommend writing a client application rather than trying to host it in pocket IE.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:51 AM
  • User-1374758930 posted

I have installed the user control to \windows folder of the Pocket PC. Is there a way to refer to this control/dll and invoke its method in the web application.

I tried using

var usercontrol = new ActiveXObject('dllname.controlname');

but there was no response to method calls like usercontrol.method().

Can anyone help me in this regard,

Sangeetha 

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:12 PM