none
Live output not linked to asset (Media Services APIv3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am trying to create a Live Event for real time media streaming using the API v3. I am following these steps:

1. Create a live event.

2. Create an asset.

3. Create a streaming locator.

4. Create a live output.

5 Start live event and streming endpoints.

Once I have created all the resources, I start sending the video using FFMPEG to the RTMPS ingest URL. But the asset size remain to 0 Bytes. Seems that the video is not linked to the asset. When I try to retrieve the streaming URL, the streaming locator paths are empty.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any missing process in what I am doing?

2. For the project that I am working, I do not need to store the video, only to stream in real time. Is there a way to create a solution without the assets?

Monday, August 5, 2019 1:02 PM

Answers

• The streaming endpoint should be started earlier, in step 1, and in our docs, we recommend sending in the contribution feed before creating the streaming locator. Can you try tweaking the above steps?

If that still doesn't work, you may need to send us details via an Azure support ticket (or to amshelp@microsoft.com). We'll need:

• Azure subscription ID
    • Media Service account name
    • Region
    • Live Event name(s)
    • Approximate time, date, timezone that you ran the test

Thanks

Lastly: are you using the Azure Portal to check on the Asset size? The Portal does not support Assets created via our v3 APIs, yet.

Monday, August 5, 2019 4:29 PM

All replies

• The streaming endpoint should be started earlier, in step 1, and in our docs, we recommend sending in the contribution feed before creating the streaming locator. Can you try tweaking the above steps?

If that still doesn't work, you may need to send us details via an Azure support ticket (or to amshelp@microsoft.com). We'll need:

• Azure subscription ID
    • Media Service account name
    • Region
    • Live Event name(s)
    • Approximate time, date, timezone that you ran the test

Thanks

Lastly: are you using the Azure Portal to check on the Asset size? The Portal does not support Assets created via our v3 APIs, yet.

Monday, August 5, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I followed the steps in the tutorial and now I am able to see the video using API v3. Yes, I was looking for asset size on the Azure Portal, maybe that was the problem.

I have a final question: In my project, I do not need to archive the video. What is the best approach for this? Delete the asset each time the streaming ends? Is there any way to only create the stream but not the asset, like the preview URL?

Thanks.

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:50 PM
  • for non archiving Assets, you could do one of the following:

1. Just publish the preview endpoint... 
    2. Create a live output (and asset) with a very small DVR window of 2-3 minutes and then delete the Asset at the end of the event. This is probably the safest and recommended option. 
    Monday, August 5, 2019 10:44 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the information.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:47 PM