none
32-bit vs 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe a naive question, but we're having a major problem with out split database since our server was changed last night from a 32-bit to 64-bit Windows Server. I don't know if we still need to do some fine tuning with permissions and stuff, or whether the 64-bit change is causing a problem.

Question: Can this have an effect on a split database arrangement where the backend, which resides on the server is in Access 97 format and the frontends are on workstations all running Windows XP Prof. and then various versions of the frontend, depending upon whether the workstation is running Office XP or Office 2007?

The message I'm receiving when my frontend opens is:

Unrecognized database format “\\10.57.32\Access\Petedata.mdb”      (“Petedata.mdb” is one of the “backend” databases)

Thank you.
    Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:24 PM

Answers

• Its possible the file is corrupted.

You should do some more research:

can you open the file itself on the server?

on a client?

if you copy it to the client machine, can you open it then?

That should give some hint as to whether you have a network issue, or an Access issue (i don't think its the 64 bit OS)

hth roger

• Marked as answer by mdavisfps Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:01 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:02 PM
  • I've been using 64-bit Access and it has no problems talking to 32-bit Access. The file formats are identical (nothing has changed there whatsoever, so this cannot be the problem). It's more likely, as Roger23434 has suggested, that the file has been corrupted as part of the upgrade process. I hope you have backups, or that it's not important, or that we're wrong...

There are some issues with 64-bit Access for some people under limited circumstances, but these issues should not create the type of problem you are experiencing.

Matthew Slyman M.A. (Camb.)

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• Its possible the file is corrupted.

You should do some more research:

can you open the file itself on the server?

on a client?

if you copy it to the client machine, can you open it then?

That should give some hint as to whether you have a network issue, or an Access issue (i don't think its the 64 bit OS)

hth roger

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:02 PM
  • I've been using 64-bit Access and it has no problems talking to 32-bit Access. The file formats are identical (nothing has changed there whatsoever, so this cannot be the problem). It's more likely, as Roger23434 has suggested, that the file has been corrupted as part of the upgrade process. I hope you have backups, or that it's not important, or that we're wrong...

There are some issues with 64-bit Access for some people under limited circumstances, but these issues should not create the type of problem you are experiencing.

Matthew Slyman M.A. (Camb.)

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Thanks both Roger and Matthew.

I had to leave the office for a few minutes. Glad to hear that both of you don't believe it's a 64-bit issue. I just tried to copy the backend (and it's only one of a number of different ones) and it's showing about 8 min. to copy the file when, normally, it would take a few minutes. I think it's a network or network/permissions issue and will post back after talking with IT. I appreciate the quick response, guys.

Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Problem solved.

When Corporate IT copied everything over last night to the new server from their home base in another state, it somehow managed to either corrupt every mdb file, or converted every mdb file into a format not recognized by the version on my computer. Go figure.

Fortunately, we still still had the old server, so we just manually copied everything ourselves to the new server and now everything works fine.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Matthew Slyman wrote:

I've been using 64-bit Access and it has no problems talking to 32-bit Access.

But this is a 32 bit vs 64 server.  This has nothing to do with the
    32/64 bit version of Access.

Tony

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:22 PM