getting ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified during data migration RRS feed

• Question

• using ssma 4.0 to convert oracle stuff to sql server 2005.
    The schema migration works fine, but any attempt to actually convert data from any oracle table results in the following:

Migrating data...
    Analyzing metadata...
    Preparing table DW_STAGE.CP_BLOGS_STG...
    Preparing data migration package...
    Starting data migration agent...
    Starting data migration...
     Exception during processing: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
    Data migration complete.
    0 table(s) successfully migrated. 
    0 table(s) partially migrated. 
    1 table(s) failed to migrate.

Since the ssma instance can connect to oracle I presume my tnsnames.ora file is correct.  An earlier post suggested using tnsping to check howerver I don't have that program in my client package (oracle instant client for windows 32 bit).  

Open to any suggestions and admit beforehand that I'm pretty bad with oracle and only a newbie with sql server 2005.  

Thanks,
    John.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:10 PM

Answers

• I have a solution...

Change the Oracle connection from "TNSNAME Mode" to "Standard mode".. that works.

greets
    Melih
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:11 PM

All replies

• Try downloading the Oracle 10g Client and run TNSPING. I'd double-check your TNSNAMES.ORA as well for the correct parameters.

bass_player http://bassplayerdoc.blogspot.com/
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:59 PM
  • I have the same problem :-(

Oracle10g client is running and i can ping the oracle-server. the tool find the oracle db too, it fails only when i "migrate" the data.
    All tables, views, SP are there, only the datamigration fails :-/

System:
    Vista 32bit
    SQL Server 2008 SP1
    Oracle 10g on a Win2k3 Server

thanks
    melih

• Proposed as answer by Melih Bildik Monday, October 19, 2009 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I have a solution...

Change the Oracle connection from "TNSNAME Mode" to "Standard mode".. that works.

greets
    Melih
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:11 PM