IDC predicts Windows 8 will be a failure

General discussion

• "IDC is already predicting that very few PC owners will upgrade from Windows 7 to it. And that's just for a start -- the company also predicts that Windows 8 tablets look to be a bust as well."

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19376/windows_8_will_be_an_upgrade_failure_warns_idc

@Microsoft: We have been telling you about all the usability problems with Windows 8 for 3 months now. So far, you have not acknowledged these issues or told us how plan to solve them.

Is it really going to take bad sales figures and layoffs of Microsoft employees for you to finally say, "Hey, wait a second, there's a real problem here and we need to fix it."?
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• but if winRt opens the way to much more secure apps on the desktop, and the ability to code a desktop app in html and javascript, that looks to me to be a huge advance.

If metro apps can prove to be virus free, that will give users a lot of insentive to upgrade.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Microsoft has been peddling the idea that Windows is safe and secure for something like 10 years now.  They've heard that song and dance before. 

What's Microsoft's marketing strategy going to be?  "Windows is now safe and secure.  This time we're telling the truth!." 

I really think that's going to fall on deaf ears.  Couple that with all the usability issues, we may be looking at marketing disaster even worse that Vista.

• Edited by I-DotNET Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:52 PM Spelling
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:16 PM
  • What kind of an authority is this IDC? Me, myself, personally would be glad to change W7 for W8 immediately after having a chance to compare the performance of both on my PCs.  I believe Windows 8   would be a great success and a lot of those opposing Microsoft would be losing their jobs.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Microsoft has been peddling the idea that Windows is safe and secure for something like 10 years now.  They've heard that song and dance before. 

What's Microsoft's marketing strategy going to be?  "Windows is now safe and secure.  This time we're telling the truth!." 

I really think that's going to fall on deaf ears.  Couple that with all the usability issues, we may be looking at marketing disaster even worse that Vista.

If the system runs virus free then word of mouth will spread the word very effectively.

As a programmer I think it is awesome that winRT/XAML apps will run on the desktop, the tablet and presumably, the phone.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:27 PM
  • "If the system runs virus free then word of mouth will spread the word very effectively."

That sounds like wishful thinking to me.  If that were true, then Linux and MacOS should have captured 90% of the PC market by now.

"As a programmer I think it is awesome that winRT/XAML apps will run on the desktop, the tablet and presumably, the phone."

What good is that if nobody wants to buy it?

• Edited by I-DotNET Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:53 PM Tweak wording.
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Word of mouth will do good, but I've been telling everyone I know that I've not had a single virus since Windows Vista (I now have Win7/Win8) and not a single one of them have believed me. It's just not a reality that is easily believable in the Windows World. It's going to take more than just words.
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 11:56 PM