load testing for concurrent users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a quick question related to simulating multiple users load test.I need to check the performance of the application while running 3  concurrent users at the same time.Is it mandatory that i should use three different user id and password.Or else can i use the same credentials for simulating multiple users.

Could anyone please helpme out asap. I am badly waiting for the reply. 

• Edited by Hameetha Monday, September 24, 2012 4:51 PM typo error
    Monday, September 24, 2012 4:43 PM

Answers

• it depends on the app and test, I would favor using 3 user ids.

Here is a thread discussing datasources, data access methods etc.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vstswebtest/thread/80c15dfd-5265-4e9f-becc-5e13fdf19596

Tim

• Marked as answer by Hameetha Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:53 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:31 PM
  • There is no "Correct" settings but if the results are what you are looking for, then it is correct in your case.  I do find it odd that you are only doing 3 iterations but that doesnt make it wrong.  Your test is essentially simulating 3 users logging in and doing whatever else is in the script then stopping after each virtual user executes the script once.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Hameetha Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:53 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• it depends on the app and test, I would favor using 3 user ids.

Here is a thread discussing datasources, data access methods etc.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vstswebtest/thread/80c15dfd-5265-4e9f-becc-5e13fdf19596

Tim

• Marked as answer by Hameetha Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:53 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Thanks Tim.In my case the application is supporting for using same userid and password.For finding the performance of application for 3 concurrent users.I have provided the input as below.

Load Pattern: Constant

Max User Load:3

Test Iterations: 3

Load test runs without an error and i could get the report.

Could you please suggest this procedure is correct?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:55 AM
  • There is no "Correct" settings but if the results are what you are looking for, then it is correct in your case.  I do find it odd that you are only doing 3 iterations but that doesnt make it wrong.  Your test is essentially simulating 3 users logging in and doing whatever else is in the script then stopping after each virtual user executes the script once.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Hameetha Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:53 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:39 PM
  • OK Thanks Tim. if 3 iterations are not enough, can i give some test duration and set test iterations to false?

My ultimate aim is to find the performance of application when 3 users simultaneously login and doing the activities and log out? In this case,whether the settings which i have mentioned are correct or else
    could you please suggest the correct settings?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:52 AM
  • yes you can either do a test based on time or based on iterations: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff406976.aspx

If all you want to do is find the performance of your app with 3 users simultaneously running your script you have set it up correctly

Tim

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:05 PM
  • ok thanks.initially we start with finding the performance of our application for 3 users simultaneously later we will increase the usercount and find the performance.

For now, could you please suggest whether the setting i have mentioned was correct?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:32 PM
  • given your discription your settings are correct

Tim

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:09 PM