Access 2007 and Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Access 2007 and Windows Small Business Server, and I would like these two to somehow be friends and work together.  No luck so far.

I found some links (including one on Microsofts page) that explained how to move Access 2007 to a sharepoint, but there seems to be missing buttons - I don't have a "Site Actions" button on WSBS.  It's not so much getting the database loaded, it's using the forms that I can't seem to do.

Is there any way around this, or am I stuck upgrading to Sharepoint 2007?  Has anyone gotten this to work using Access 2007?

Thanks,

Steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

• The ability to have an Access table synchronized with a SharePoint List is restricted to the combination of Access 2007 with a SharePoint v3 product (WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007).

In your SBS 2003 you have as you know WSS 2.0.

There are two options for you to upgrade to WSS 3.0.

One is to do a so-called "side-by-side" installation (look for an SBS 2003 KB article on this) where you install WSS 3.0 so that your existing WSS 2.0 system still works as well. This is usually done if you want to preserve the special functions (such as Fax support) that are only in the SBS 2003 version of WSS 2.0.

The other alternative is to replace the WSS 2.0 installation with a completely new installation of WSS 3.0. In this case you have a standard WSS 3.0 installation just like the one that is installed in a Windows 2003 Server with no special SBS-only functions.

Ask in the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (msnews.microsoft.com) newsgroup if you need any more SBS-specific information.

Mike Walsh
    Monday, January 14, 2008 7:35 AM