Table captions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way of inserting a caption for a table short of typing in it in Code View?  (HTML is not a problem.) I have searched everywhere but can find no references to captions for tables. It seems odd that it is not an option.  I just want a heading!

Thanks.

Chris

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• In Design View, right-click on the table and choose Insert > Caption.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/

• Marked as answer by Chris-49 Monday, February 4, 2013 9:55 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Updated: I found that you can ask EW to insert the caption.

Caption becomes available in the Table -> Insert menu when you click in the table.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, January 25, 2013 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris-49 Monday, February 4, 2013 9:52 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:58 PM
  • You cannot vote on your own postGood catch, Kathleen. I didn't see that option in the "Table|Insert|Caption" menu (the other place it is available). Still, for other features, such as column headings, summaries, etc., it would appear that they also require code view entry. It would seem that there's not a whole lot that you can do with tables in design view, or with menu selections. Sorry about that... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:11 PM

All replies

• Be more specific. Are you talking about column headings, or what? If you are talking about layout tables for non-tabular information, that usage is discouraged, and the Layout Table menu and panel has been removed from EW. If you are talking about standard headings (h1. h2, etc.) associated with a table, then no problem.

Please explain explicitly what you wish to achieve, and if you can point to an example of the desired effect, that would be helpful

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:46 PM
  • <table>

<caption> heading above the table</caption>

<tr></tr>

<tr></tr>

</table>

Chris

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Sorry - pressing the space bar submitted the post!

To continue,  this is the caption I was looking for.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:47 PM
  • In Design View, right-click on the table and choose Insert > Caption.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Updated: I found that you can ask EW to insert the caption.

Caption becomes available in the Table -> Insert menu when you click in the table.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, January 25, 2013 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris-49 Monday, February 4, 2013 9:52 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:58 PM
  • You cannot vote on your own postGood catch, Kathleen. I didn't see that option in the "Table|Insert|Caption" menu (the other place it is available). Still, for other features, such as column headings, summaries, etc., it would appear that they also require code view entry. It would seem that there's not a whole lot that you can do with tables in design view, or with menu selections. Sorry about that... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:11 PM
  • Thanks all - a matter of looking harder!

Chris

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Column headings = right click in the table cell you want to be a heading and select "Cell Properties" you can then use the check box for "Header cell". You can also select multiple cells and apply header cells to all of them at one time.

The summary and scope attributes for tables seems to only be available using Intellisense in code though.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:50 PM