Adding a reference to none silverlight assemblies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

this is a known issue that you can't reference an assembly that was not compiled as an silverlight assembly from a silverlight application.

my question is - is MS planning to provide a way to reuse none SL assemblies providing that they meet the SL CLR standards (no references to not supported assemblies).

this is a big issue for my company as we have an in house presentation logic framework that we really want to reuse.

thank you.

Monday, February 22, 2010 4:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Avi levi,

Silverlight project and normal .net project reference to different dlls. Such as mscorlib.dll.   Therefore, so far as I know, we can share the code file but not the assemblies.    The better way here is to create a Silverlight project and right click on the Silverlight project -->choose Add --->"Add Exiting Item"--> drop down the "Add" Button on the bottom of the Window and choose "Add As Link".  This will make your projects share the same code file and easily get two assembly copies.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Friday, February 26, 2010 1:59 AM

All replies

• Please read this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/clrteam/archive/2009/12/01/sharing-silverlight-assemblies-with-net-apps.aspx

Although I know this is about sharing Silverlight assemblies in full CLR it might help you understand the different options.

Monday, February 22, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Hi mark and thanks for your reply,

according to the article, it seems that we would have to recompile all common dlls under a silverlight project, this is a huge disappointment and i would like to know what are the future plans for SL in that context.

thank you,

Avi.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Yha, but will i be able to reuse .NET assemblies with SL?

not the full .net assembly of course.

p.s - like your avatar, a huge pink floyd fan myself :-)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Hi Avi levi,

Silverlight project and normal .net project reference to different dlls. Such as mscorlib.dll.   Therefore, so far as I know, we can share the code file but not the assemblies.    The better way here is to create a Silverlight project and right click on the Silverlight project -->choose Add --->"Add Exiting Item"--> drop down the "Add" Button on the bottom of the Window and choose "Add As Link".  This will make your projects share the same code file and easily get two assembly copies.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Friday, February 26, 2010 1:59 AM