none
Which Studio Express version can be installed on Windows XP machines

Question

• Our companies have quite a few Windows XP OS systems, and we need to run

C# programs on them.  What would be my options?  Which Visual Express can

be installed on XP PC?  I've already tried 2012 version but it would not installed.

Thanks.

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:03 AM

Answers

• try VS2010, I remembered I did install VS 2010 on XP before. VS 2010 contains .Net 4 support and it is enough to develop .Net program with C#.Start from VS2012, it supports .Net 4.5 and windows store app.

Bob Bao

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:27 AM

All replies

• try VS2010, I remembered I did install VS 2010 on XP before. VS 2010 contains .Net 4 support and it is enough to develop .Net program with C#.Start from VS2012, it supports .Net 4.5 and windows store app.

Bob Bao

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:27 AM
  • Hello,

Along with Bob_Bao answer, if avaliable, you can install VSE 2005 and 2008.

I recommend getting 2010 it supports dotNet 4 and reasonably stable IDE.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

I am moving your thread to Visual Studio General forum for getting quick response.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by Sleep Less Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sleep Less Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:39 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Thanks for all the real responses.  I was able to download Visual Studio Express 2010 and able to install the Visual Studio C#.  Does that mean .Net4 gets installed automatically?

My other question is my C# program was originally developed under Visual Studio Express 2013 on Windows 7, but when I tried to run it on the Windows XP machine, the XP OS complains that the program is not a 32bit application, but I did compile the C# program using the "X86" option.

So is there a way to get the C# program which was developed using 2013 on Windows 7 to run on Windows XP machine?

Thanks.

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Hi Sleep Less,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Does that mean .Net4 gets installed automatically?

Yes, the .NET Framework 4.0 is included in VS 2010, which means after you successfully install the VS 2012 edition, then it will auto install the .NET Framework 4.0, please have a look at this: .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies and we can confirm this message.

BTW, if you think the reply of Bob_Bao and User3DX are helpful, please mark it as answer, it will help other community members who have the same issue to easier search this, thank you for your support.

>> My other question is my C# program was originally developed under Visual Studio Express 2013 on Windows 7, but when I tried to run it on the Windows XP machine, the XP OS complains that the program is not a 32bit application, but I did compile the C# program using the "X86" option.

Since this is another question, and your original question is solved. I recommend you start a new thread for this different question, which will help us to convince to trace and research your new question, thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:59 AM
  • " Does that mean .Net4 gets installed automatically?"

Yes, .Net 4 will be installed with VS 2010 default

" is there a way to get the C# program which was developed using 2013 on Windows 7 to run on Windows XP machine?"

Two things; one, the program should compiled with x86 option, and target to .Net 4 (I do not think .Net 4.5 and upper can work on XP)

Second, install the corresponding .Net framework in XP, it should be .Net 4 x86 version. 

Please also check your x86 build option in Vs project property -> Build page, should be "Platform Target" to x86

Bob Bao

Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:46 AM