none
Fix Ligature Support

Question

• Currently fonts like Fira Code works and they look great. However, anything to do with a hyphen does not work with ligature. Why the hyphen and is there a workaround? 
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hi aloshka09,

If you want to submit this issue as a bug, please post it on Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. It can let other communities vote and add comments for your feedback. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by aloshka09 Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:07 AM

All replies

• This is not the same issue. The referenced post is about updating Consolas font to be ligature enhanced. 

That is not my question/problem. 

Visual Studio 2015 ALREADY supports ligature fonts. My issue/bug is that ligatures that deal with hyphens do not work at all. It's almost as if Visual Studio treats hyphens differently than all other characters. So any ligatures like <= or != all work properly. But ANYTHING to do with a hyphen does not work such as -> --> <!-- -= -/- , etc.

I doubt this is by design, but a fix would be ideal. Visual Studio Code doesn't have this issue. 

• Edited by aloshka09 Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:24 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Hi aloshka09,

>>But ANYTHING to do with a hyphen does not work such as -> --> <!-- -= -/- , etc.

Where do you use these in Visual Studio 2015? As far as I know, the ->, -= can be used in C# Editor, <!-- can be use in html file.

Please tell us the detailed steps and some screenshot to help us understanding your problem and test in my side to check whether it is not supported in Visual Studio.

If you have verified, I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio User Voice and share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comment for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 18, 2016 3:01 AM
  •  C++ has -> operator. HTML has the comments (probably the biggest one).

-- and -= operators are used in both C# and C++ as well. Most ligature fonts bring them closer together and make them much easier to read. 

Like I said once you see what code looks like in VS Code with ligatures enabled, it's very hard to go back to a regular editor. 

• Edited by aloshka09 Saturday, March 19, 2016 7:44 PM
    Saturday, March 19, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Hi aloshka09,

I checked all settings in Visual Studio Tools -> Options -> Editor -> C#/C++ and I don't find some settings for ligature fonts for your problem.

So I suggest you submit this issue to Visual Studio User Voice and the share the link here. If there has enough communities vote your feedback, I think the Visual Studio Product team will treat it seriously.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 21, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Ligatures don't have settings and VS just supports them as fonts. So the issue isn't settings, it's a bug in that VS supports them except for anything to do with a hyphen. 

I'll post on user voice but I doubt anyone is going to go through 20 pages to find the lig issue. I was hoping that it would be submitted as a bug instead. 

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Hi aloshka09,

If you want to submit this issue as a bug, please post it on Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. It can let other communities vote and add comments for your feedback. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by aloshka09 Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:07 AM
  • Will do! Thanks

In case anyone else that runs into this problem, the submitted bug can be found at: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2504318/hyphens-not-supported-for-ligatures

• Edited by aloshka09 Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:59 AM