Test Suite Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am facing below issue in TFS 2015 update 3.

We have separate TFS group called TESTERS. The issue is here USERS (Who are part of this TESTERS group) are able to create and delete test suites in TFS.

I would like to know is there any way where we can restrict USERS (Part of TESTERS group) not to delete Test Suites and Test Plans.

Simply: Testers should be able to only create but should not be able to delete :)

Kindly let me know and Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Raj 

Rajesh

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• please take a look at this link that provides info on where and how to set permissions across TFS

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252587.aspx#project_plus

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi All,

I am facing below issue in TFS 2015 update 3.

We have separate TFS group called TESTERS. The issue is here USERS (Who are part of this TESTERS group) are able to create and delete test suites in TFS.

I would like to know is there any way where we can restrict USERS (Part of TESTERS group) not to delete Test Suites and Test Plans.

Simply: Testers should be able to only create but should not be able to delete :)

Kindly let me know and Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Raj 

Rajesh

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi Raj,

>>Simply: Testers should be able to only create but should not be able to delete :)

You could Deny "Delete work items in this project" and "Permanently delete work items in this project" for this TESTERS group.

For example:

After set like that, the delete option will disappear when you right click your test suite in TFS.

Note: this permission apply to all work item types, include test suites, test case, bug and others.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:59 AM
  • Hi Xiao,

Thanks for your response. I have tried these steps but not working.

After setting Both as DENY showed as you are instructed, Users are able to delete test suites under the Test Plans.

We need some exclusive permission settings for Test Suite (Delete).

Thanks,

Raj

Rajesh

Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi Raj,

Please check the Area-level permissions for work item tracking in the document below:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252587.aspx

About Test Suites permission.  I found only this for Test Suites : Manage Test Suites

>>We need some exclusive permission settings for Test Suite (Delete).

So for your requirement, currently, it is impossible to achieve. If you need the permission only for Test Suite Delete. I suggest you could send a feature request to :

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services

After that, share the link here, I will help to vote it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Hi Rj,

Any update about your case, did you submit the user voice? Please share the link here, I will vote it. Then don't forget to make it, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, September 12, 2016 8:43 AM