none
Breaking UI Issues in VS2015 (Blank Properties/Missing Buttons/XSD Designer not loading)

Question

• We've started to use VS2015 in the office and we've discovered a number of issues with the development environment that basically breaks the UI and causes issues that are making us think about going back to VS2013. The thing is that it only occurs in this one solution we are working in and doesn't seem to be a problem with smaller Web/Library projects. Below are some of the notable problems:

- We lose our Start/Stop buttons from the top toolbar randomly and only restarting the IDE will bring them back. However the keyboard commands still work.

- Another is that the properties window will be blank most of the time and unreliable if we can get it to show anything (changing controls doesn't refresh the properties window).

- .XSD files also don't load their designer, forever stating that it is "loading".

We've tried looking around the webs for any similar issues but nothing solid. Does anyone have any similar issues and any advise on where we can look to solving these problems? It doesn't seem to be a discussed issue so we're thinking its a problem with our solution.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Deloaf,

According to your description, these problems occur with the specific solution, not for all solutions in Visual Studio 2015, is it right? Please tell me which version of Visual Studio 2015 you are using.

Please delete the solution file (.suo) and then retry to check whether it still has the same problem. If still exist, please create a new project and move the solution files to the new solution one by one to make sure which file causes this issue.

Besides, please make sure all extensions and packages used in your solution have be upgraded with the Visual Studio 2015.

>>- We lose our Start/Stop buttons from the top toolbar randomly and only restarting the IDE will bring them back. However the keyboard commands still work.

Please run your Visual Studio as administrator first. And then please make sure you have close all third part software, such as antivirus.

If still has this problem, please run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Devenv.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Since this problem occurs randomly, I suggest you to check the ActiveLog.xml when this issue occurs, which is under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

>>- Another is that the properties window will be blank most of the time and unreliable if we can get it to show anything (changing controls doesn't refresh the properties window).

>>- .XSD files also don't load their designer, forever stating that it is "loading".Please try repair your Visual Studio to check whether it can fix these issues. If no, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback Weiwei. 

We followed some of your directions to try and figure out what was going on and ended up coming to the conclusion that our errors are stemming from accdb and mdb files we have in our solution. If we have more than 2 or 3 databases in our solution then the Server Explorer / Database Connections seems to not immediately connect to them and its indicative that the entire IDE has errored.

We've come up with a temporary solution in unloading all of our database (accdb/mdb) files from the solution. With those files unloaded then no databases are connected to in the Server Explorer and everything seems to work fine.

This however is not a solution we can continue with. Do you have any solutions to this? It seems odd that the solution and IDE would fail if we have more than 2 or 3 databases in it. If we can't get this to work then we may have to revert back to Visual Studio 2013. This occurs on multiple different users in the office so it seems to be systemic and not localized on my computer.

• Edited by Deloaf Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:19 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hi Deloaf,

>>This however is not a solution we can continue with. Do you have any solutions to this?

In my opinion, we often connect to one database in one project, and one solution contains one project which connect to database. If you have several projects need to connect to different database, I suggest you divide these projects to different solutions, which can make sure one solution connect to one database.

Since you have figured out the problem and find that this problem occurs on multiple different users, I suggest you post this issue to Visual Studio Connect with detailed steps about how to reproduce this problem. Then please share the feedback link here, which can let other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments for this feedback. I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously and give us the Email update. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback again. 

We develop a software that provides vendor product offering for multiple different vendors. In our current architecture we store each different vendors product offering in a separate database file. We really didn't think we would be limited by this in Visual Studio 2015 when it was working correctly in Visual Studio 2013.

That being said, I've gone ahead and listed the issue on Visual Studio Connect as you suggested and it is available at the following link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2290126

Thanks again for your time and help.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi Deloaf,

Thanks for sharing the feedback here. I will mark your reply with feedback link as answer later. It is benefit to other communities who has the same problem, they can vote and add comments in your feedback.

If any problem about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:59 AM