New D3D Interop in WPF - Performance Question RRS feed

• Question

• The new Direct3D interop feature in WPF that (hopefully) CTPs soon...What are the performance implications with it compared to a pure D3D window?

Rob R.'s mix video looked pretty impressive...I'm just wondering if the CPU tax is equally impressive

I ask because I want to rewrite my VideoRendererElement to support this over what I'm doing now (DShow Filter, MediaElement and some tickery) because DirectShow and Direct3D are good pals (via VMR9/EVR).

-Jer

Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• There is definitely some overhead associated with with this feature.  The design calls for isolating the effects of your DX calls from our own DX rendering engine.  This sacrifices some performance for a big boost in reliability.  There are also substantual differences between XP & Vista (DWM on/off also matters).  Our formal perfomance measurements are still be tabulated, but we are optimistic that we have built a pretty compelling feature. 

I can't wait to you guys get to play with it and amaze us!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:41 PM

All replies

• There is definitely some overhead associated with with this feature.  The design calls for isolating the effects of your DX calls from our own DX rendering engine.  This sacrifices some performance for a big boost in reliability.  There are also substantual differences between XP & Vista (DWM on/off also matters).  Our formal perfomance measurements are still be tabulated, but we are optimistic that we have built a pretty compelling feature. 

I can't wait to you guys get to play with it and amaze us!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for the insight bud!

I can't wait to get some CTP bits!  In an OCD fit, I have stepped through all of Rob R.'s Mix presentation a handful of times, studying the source code on screen.  I'm like a junkie looking for a fix and screenshots of code are the only thing that makes the itching stop Wink

-Jer

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:37 AM