none
Redistributing prerequisites with add-in's setup application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an add-in for Word 2007 application. Now I have to develop a customized setup application using InstallAware 7.0.

I need to redistribute following runtimes:
    1. .Net Framework 2.0 (CLR 2.0 is mandatory for Office 2007 to interact with add-in application)
    2. .Net Framework 4.0 (Target framework of the add-in application)
    3. Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
    4. Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies

First of all, we are planning to distribute our add-in setup from our own website. So, we are planning to minimize the download size as much as possible, even though including prerequisites.

We plan to package the redistributable packages of 'Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime' and 'Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies' into our add-in's setup application as they are small in size.

However, we want to exclude packaging of the .Net Frameworks 2.0 and 4.0 into our setup. Because their redistributable packages are large in size: .Net 2.0 (22.4 MB) and .Net 4.0 (48.1 MB). So, we want our setup to check the existence of these frameworks on the end-user computers, download and install online if needed.

Regarding .Net Framework 2.0, we have the redistributable package, so we place this on our server, download and install this framework online during setup process.

Regarding .Net Framework 4.0, we are planning for an option of packaging its web installer into our setup application. Because, the web installer is small in size (869 KB) and if we run this from our setup, all the download and installation will be handled by this web installer only.

But we have a doubt that, can we package the web installer of .net framework 4.0 into our setup application? Because, it is not mentioned anywhere that .Net Framework 4.0's  web installer is a redistributable. Please suggest, is it correct to package web installer into our setup or not?

Please also suggest, whether the entire redistribution process we are following regarding all the prerequisites is correct or not?

Thanks in advance,
    Surya

Surya Praveen

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Surya,

In my experience what you are saying is correct, is the standard way to deploy Office addi-ins, regarding pre-requisites distribution.

The distributables are packages shipped with Visual Studio and VS SDK. So, you can make your own redistributable packages. I made one once to create registry keys and check for special conditions. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx

Also I had many many troubles when requiring my customers to install .NET 3.5 (Client Profile); things went wrong and the add-in was canceled. So have in mind to test the overall deployment from a customer perspective, not just in controlled environments (VMs) that suppose to replicate the customer computer.

These are my advices, hope this helps.

Regards,

Mauro

castagnasso.wordpress.com | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Friday, April 1, 2011 5:25 PM