none
Cannot open central admin

Question

• Environment: SharePoint 2013 on windows server 2012 r2

I am not able to open central admin. I get 404 error. All the services are running, application pools are fine, did IISreset, restarted the server. Nothing significant on the event viewer. I can connect to the DB using management studio and config DB seems fine. 

I found this error below in the ULS logs ,, 

process: w3wp.exe

Request (Get:http://hostname:43100/default.aspx)

Message: An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131401).

Help please

@R

• Edited by youlearn Monday, March 27, 2017 9:05 PM New info
    Monday, March 27, 2017 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

there were missing registry keys, maybe from some .NET update ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework’, create a new ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value’ named "LoaderOptimization" with a value .

‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework‘, create a new ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value’ named "LoaderOptimization" with a value 1.

Refer:Sharepoint 2013 An exception occurred when trying to issue security token

• Marked as answer by youlearn Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there were missing registry keys, maybe from some .NET update ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework’, create a new ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value’ named "LoaderOptimization" with a value .

‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework‘, create a new ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value’ named "LoaderOptimization" with a value 1.

Refer:Sharepoint 2013 An exception occurred when trying to issue security token

• Marked as answer by youlearn Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:56 AM
  • Hi

depending on your farm's topology, restart your IIS servers

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:28 AM
  • I looked at the update history and there are no .Net related updates in recent past. Below is the screen shot of updates till the date it was working fine. 

Note: The error I mentioned above is what I saw in the ULS logs but I am not sure if it is directly related to the issue or not. It seems to occur when I launch central admin as you can see from the request. 

@R

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:53 PM
  • topology include 1 APP server, 1 SQL server and 1 WFE. 

I restarted app server and SQL server but it did not help. 

Thank you 

@R

• Edited by youlearn Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:55 PM
  • I did the registry entries anyways and it worked I can open the central admin now. I am stumped, how all this happened. Do you have any theories as I do not see any .net updates in the windows update history. 

You rock Reema. 

Thank you

@R

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:07 PM