none
AccessViolationException RRS feed

• Question

• One of my Application Clients (and only him) is consistently getting the error:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I tried to Install the hotfix KB923028 but I get a message "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing..."

the computer configuration:

XP SP3 BUILD 2600

DOT NET 3.0 without a service pack

any idea?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:51 AM

Answers

• These kind of exceptions are almost always caused by utilities that use SetWindowsHookEx() to snoop on other programs.  This might of course not be a utility that is doing a legitimate job.  The worst kind are the ones that are really invasive, anti-virus checkers.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:34 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 2:48 PM