none
internationalization architecture RRS feed

• Question

• I have been assigned an project where i have to audit the internationalization (I18N) support in an enterprise application.
    Can somebody pleae guide me to any links/checklists where i can get reference architecture for the same.

Thanks in advance

regards

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:56 PM

Answers

• For .NET applications, the FxCop tool ( http://www.gotdotnet.com/Team/FxCop/ ) can perform a variety of internationalization checks.

Though not comprehensive, some starting points are:

• Test if text containing both Arabic and Chinese sentences can flow all the way to the data source and back to the display without corruption.  Arabic is especially tricky because it's written right-to-left.  Getting this to work practically requires full Unicode support thoughout the application.
    • Ensure all text messages displayed to the user come from some sort of "message table", rather than being hard-coded in the program.  The message table can be swapped out for different languages.  Each message should be numbered for tech-support reasons.
    • Ensure that sorting is done according the the proper locale.  Some languages actually sort the same characters differently (like Sweden versus Germany).
    • Ensure that the proper date format and decimal character is used for information and forms presented to the user.  Many countries use a comma as the decimal point, rather than a period.
    • Some cultures do not use the Gregorian calendar; consider converting dates to the region's calendar for display.

-Ryan / Kardax

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:48 PM