InsertTrackingProfile doesnt seem to exist RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get a basic tracking profile created and installed.  The problem is that the online docs have a CreateAndInsertTrackingProfile() that wont compile.  The Insert......  seems to be undefined.   Anyone know what I am not referencing or where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:15 PM

Answers

• Ah, got it, the problem is with the sample itself.  The idea behind this is to demonstrate how to use a custom profile with the SqlTrackingService.  The SqlTrackingService has a default profile that it will use if you don't specify a different one.  The default profile tracks all events. 

Thanks,

Joel West

MSFT - SDE in WF runtime and hosting

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:51 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to add a new tracking profile or update an existing tracking profile in the SqlTrackingService?  If so you should use the stored procedure UpdateTrackingProfile.  This proc should be used for inserting a new tracking profile or updating an existing tracking profile (remember to update the profile's version number for an update) for a specific workflow type.  To update the default tracking profile use the UpdateDefaultTrackingProfile stored proceedure.

Thanks,

Joel West

MSFTE - SDE WF runtime and hosting

Monday, May 8, 2006 4:01 PM
  • WHat you are saying is true Joel, but I think what Rob is referring to is the sample code that you get in the help files that includes a call to a non-existant InsertTrackingProfile method.

I went through this same confusion and I eventually found an article (or a how-to step-by-step thing) on the msdn site that included the implementation of this method.  It is tedious since it goes through things at a very granular level (when all you want is the function) but after I put it together it worked.

Sorry I can't remember exactly where I found this but if you try searching for InsertTrackingProfile on the msdn site then you should find it.

-- /chris

Monday, May 8, 2006 5:01 PM
  • So in order to add a tracking profile and therefore get tracking of events, I need to serialize the tracking profile and insert it into the database?

Thanks

Rob
    Tuesday, May 9, 2006 3:12 PM
  •  Rob Adrian wrote:
    So in order to add a tracking profile and therefore get tracking of events, I need to serialize the tracking profile and insert it into the database?

Thanks

Rob

Yes, which is basically what this method does.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:49 AM
  • Ah, got it, the problem is with the sample itself.  The idea behind this is to demonstrate how to use a custom profile with the SqlTrackingService.  The SqlTrackingService has a default profile that it will use if you don't specify a different one.  The default profile tracks all events. 

Thanks,

Joel West

MSFT - SDE in WF runtime and hosting

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:51 PM
  • Thanks Joel, that is exactly what I was missing...........

Rob
    Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:56 PM