Workflow cannot update list item RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow in sharepoint online. And it's workflow can do any things with current item and create task in association task list, but when i want update another item in current list, my workflow nothing doing with item and continue working(hangs). Maybe sharepoint have some permission to allow this action ? Or you know another way to resolve this issue ?
    Monday, October 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Answers

• To update a field on ALL files you will need to use the new Loop action in SP Designer.  Here is a helpful link about how to write a workflow loop that will go scan through all items.

http://weblogs.asp.net/ricardoperes/looping-through-list-items-in-sharepoint-2013

• Marked as answer by Alex Yatsenko Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:25 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 5:15 PM
  • -In top ribbon you can create new variable of various type  (string, datetime, number etc).

-Once you created variable then set workflow variable from actions in ribbon. There you will get list of varibles which are created by you or created by workflow, out of that select required one.

-After selecting variable you can set value of it.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• How are you declaring which item it is updating in the current list?  Do you have an identifier on the current item that can be used to find another item in the same list?  

If you post a screenshot of the update list item action that should help debugging the issue.

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:54 PM
  • That action will only find the first document in which the value of Process = No and update it to yes.  Are you trying to update all documents or just a single document?

What error are you seeing in the workflow status status page next to the blue I when it is suspended?

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:14 PM
  • My logic is when edit document start workflow. I start Workflow manualy and then workflow change all my files step by step. But when i update item in this list nothing happens and i see this in workflow settings:

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:19 PM
  • If you go to the item that the workflow is running on and select the "Workflows" option this will allow you to see the actual results of the workflow running on the item with details.

The workflow page will show you the workflow history including any running workflows and their status.  If you click on the status for the workflow it will take you to the detailed status of that workflow including an information message if it is suspended.  This is located in the form of a little blue I next to the Workflow Status.

• Edited by dmadelungMVP Monday, October 6, 2014 4:26 PM new pic
    Monday, October 6, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Activity in progress 

Retrying last request. Next attempt scheduled after 10/6/2014 7:40 PM. Details of last request: HTTP NotFound to https://sitrusllc.sharepoint.com/sites/dev_apps/sandbox/_api/web/lists(guid'7e6ede48-b647-4783-b22d-ccc1980cd66c')/Items(0) Correlation Id: bf9ed32f-3958-33c3-b7f7-6f7e5a2de75c Instance Id: c46a577a-78e2-4232-aef2-317311b4da5a 

Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user. 

But no one worked with this page...

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:33 PM
  • That sounds like it is saying that there are no documents that meet the criteria for your Update Item action.  Are there any documents in the Documents library that have the column of Process equaling "No" that can be updated?
    Monday, October 6, 2014 4:37 PM
  • You cannot use the lookup of "Process=No" if the value is null.  If the Process column is a checkbox with the default value of No all you need to do is click "Edit Properties" for each of those documents and then click save.  That will update the items with the new default value of No.

Now your workflow should work but it will only update the first document it finds in which the Process value is No.  Are you trying to update the column for the item that you are running the workflow on?

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:58 PM
  • I made approval workflow. And i have many files which have not approval status and workflow status. And i want change this filds on all files. And wrote this simple test workflow which start then change fields then find file which need change to and edit this file. Editing on file will start my workflow. This is my task. But now i don't know how i can resolve it. Because something prevents me.
    Monday, October 6, 2014 5:04 PM
  • To update a field on ALL files you will need to use the new Loop action in SP Designer.  Here is a helpful link about how to write a workflow loop that will go scan through all items.

http://weblogs.asp.net/ricardoperes/looping-through-list-items-in-sharepoint-2013

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Thank you for this topic. But i have one more question how i can set fields in variable ?
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:37 AM
  • -In top ribbon you can create new variable of various type  (string, datetime, number etc).

-Once you created variable then set workflow variable from actions in ribbon. There you will get list of varibles which are created by you or created by workflow, out of that select required one.

-After selecting variable you can set value of it.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:52 AM