What is better for a Store App, DirectX ?

Question

• I have a general question, i have software written in C# in VS2010 for windows, it is CAD like in nature, and it also has lots of data entry which is saved to a DB.

I display my drawings on a panel control, i use Calls to Graphics, Bitmap,  FillRectangle, DrawLine etc...

I read that this code would not be portable to a XAML Store App.

If that is the case, can someone please advise me of a quick way of converting my old drawing routine calls to a XAML Store app. Would i need to use DirectX ?

i'm really overwhelmed and need all the help i can get.

Thanks !

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:13 PM

Answers

• You haven't really mentioned exactly how your old app was written. If it was C#, is it using OpenGL, or legacy Managed DirectX 1.1, or something else?

XAML+C# Store apps are a good choice for UI-rich applications with some 3D rendering embedded in it. Interop with DirectX is covered here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh825871.aspx

The "DirectX app" model is ideal for games which are 'full-screen' experiences. The DirectX C++ app model is common here, although you can use a framework like SharpDX or a 'game engine' like MonoGame or Unity to write C# for this style of app.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:54 PM

All replies

• You haven't really mentioned exactly how your old app was written. If it was C#, is it using OpenGL, or legacy Managed DirectX 1.1, or something else?

XAML+C# Store apps are a good choice for UI-rich applications with some 3D rendering embedded in it. Interop with DirectX is covered here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh825871.aspx

The "DirectX app" model is ideal for games which are 'full-screen' experiences. The DirectX C++ app model is common here, although you can use a framework like SharpDX or a 'game engine' like MonoGame or Unity to write C# for this style of app.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Hi Chuck, thanks for the info.

it wasn't written in any Graphics library. Just plain old Graphics object, put on a windows panel Control with a bunch of Rectangle and DrawLine function calls.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:04 PM
  • You should look at Direct2D then.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:12 PM