Using Active Directory group in Infopath Form RRS feed

• Question

• We're developing a form within Infopath, and would like a drop-down list for requestors.  Within Infopath, drop-down list option, is it possible to use a Sharepoint group within the active directory as a data source?
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• SharePoint groups are not in Active Directory, so are you sure that's what you meant?  You can determine if a user is in an Active Directory group using built-in web services, and I have explained this in detail on my blog: InfoPath - User Roles in Browser-Enabled Forms Using AD Groups.  However, this web service does not give you a way to enumerate all users within an AD group, so I don't know if it helps.

With this article, you can determine the users in a SharePoint group, but it's more complicated: Using Sharepoint UserGroup Web Service with InfoPath Forms Service.

There is no way to use AD as a data source directly unless you use a web service that you create or purchase.  Here is one that provides exactly the functionality you need: Qdabra Active Directory Web Service. It works extremely well - I use it myself, especially in 2010 where my article above no longer works for AD security groups.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:09 AM
  • I am facing an issue when using the GetCommonMemberships method in InfoPath to ckeck the group membership of a user in the AD,

the web service returns values for a specified user when i run the preview from InfoPath, but when I publish the form and open it in SharePoint 2013 no values are returned.

What may be the cause of this issue,

Appreciate your feedback. 

Friday, December 5, 2014 8:40 AM