Call to WebSecurity.Login always returns false. Even though the database is open? RRS feed

• Question

• User1080700311 posted

I created my own sql server tables to Authenticate against. I am using MVC 4. In the InitializeSimpleMembershipAttributes.cs file, I changed the InitializeDatabaseConnection statement to point to my own database, and tables.

WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection("CabelConnectionString", "ClubUsers", "UserID", "userName", autoCreateTables: false);

That code executes and opens my database. However, in my controller code when the code WebSecurity.Login is executed, it is not logging in successfully? Strange, because I can call other WebSecurity methods. This is proving to me that my database ClubUsers is indeed open and I can query it succesfully.

So why is my call to WebSecurity.Login failing? Below is my code in my AccountController.cs. I only get back a boolean value of false, so I am not able to identify the exact cause of failure.

1         bool testThis = WebSecurity.UserExists("Trandy"); // This line will return true when executed.  
           2         int theId = WebSecurity.GetUserId("Trandy"); // the user Id for Trandy is being returned and is valid                                   

// I hard coded the input parameters, just for testing the code.       
            3        bool isLogged = WebSecurity.Login("Trandy", "Sunday", persistCookie: model.RememberMe); // Is returning false?

if(isLogged == true)
    {  
        //code execution  Never gets here ? Not returning a true value from login attempt
    }

else
    {  
         // Else block is always executed indicating a false value is being returned.
    }

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:55 PM

Answers

• User1080700311 posted

Hi. The reason for the error, is that the webpages_Membership table did not exists. This table is queried the the username when you try  to Login. Their is a seperate WebSecurity command  named websecurity.createaccount for creating the webpages_Membership table.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:33 PM

All replies

• User1957004874 posted

bool isLogged = WebSecurity.Login("Trandy", "Sunday", persistCookie: model.RememberMe); // Is returning false?

If everything is right, then I guess you have the wrong password.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:11 PM
  • User1080700311 posted

Hi CPrakeash, I am fairly certain I triple checked that. I will check it again in the morning. If you right, I will turn purple.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:42 PM
  • User1080700311 posted

Hi. The reason for the error, is that the webpages_Membership table did not exists. This table is queried the the username when you try  to Login. Their is a seperate WebSecurity command  named websecurity.createaccount for creating the webpages_Membership table.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:33 PM