none
Appx bundle items come up unsigned

Question

• When I create  a Store Bundle for my new Universal app the main assembly (appx) as well as additional assemblies (for other languages and screen resolutions) are listed with (unsigned) in the Biuld log. No errors or warning appear during build. Removing obj and bin didn't help.

I never had this problem before and it is a concern that the bundle may appear at Store unsigned.

Hopefilly, I am not the first one to have such a problem. Please, reply if you know the answer for sure.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi pcyanide,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum! Please utilize tagging when posting to this forum, thanks!

Could you share the process that you package your app so that we can analyze why your issue happens? 

By the way, here is the document Package a UWP app with Visual Studio, you can have a check and give some more details.

Best regards,

Breeze Liu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:27 AM
  • This is a Windows 8.1 app (As far as I can see, Windows Store still accepts Windows 8.1 bundles at the moment, while some phones aren't upgradable to Windows 10.)

Windows desktop bundle looks all right, however a phone build displays following messages:

ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\bin\ARM\Release\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_ARM.appx (unsigned)
    1>  ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\AppPackages\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_Test\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_ARM.appxsym
    1>  ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\bin\ARM\Release\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_language-xx.appx (unsigned)
    1>  ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\bin\ARM\Release\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_scale-100.appx (unsigned)
    1>  ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\AppPackages\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_Test\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_arm.appxbundle
    1>  ProjectName.WindowsPhone -> ......\ProjectName\ProjectName\ProjectName.WindowsPhone\AppPackages\ProjectName.WindowsPhone_1.1.0.0_arm_bundle.appxupload

Also when run Store build with app name selection, I get "Package Identity in the Windows Phone Store" as "none",  whereas actually the package name is already assigned (though the project was never submitted to the Store).

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi pcyanide,

you can find that when we create a windows phone 8.1 app in the Visual studio, it don't have a certification in the solution explorer. But it does not matter when you submit it to the store.

In this issue, the message will not make effect on with your app submission, you can submit it to the store as usual. You can also have a reference to the following thread to get more details,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42224132/how-to-get-store-certificate-for-win-phone-8-1-app/42267433#42267433

Best regards,

Breeze Liu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:22 AM
  • I realise that there should not be problem with submission.

As I said before, the question is how safe is an unsigned app against different attempts of tampering (unauthorised code modification, etc), given that I can see no way to compile a Windows 8.1 app.

As a matter of fact, my other submitted Windows 8.1 apps don't have such a problem.

• Edited by pcyanide Monday, March 20, 2017 9:45 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Hello pcyanide,

In the windows phone 8.1 app, the VS tool does't give an certificate in the solution, you can create a certificate for package signing using the PowerShell tools by yourself. Here is the document about how to create  a certificate and sign your app using SignTool.

Best regards,

Breeze Liu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:12 AM