state engine design question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm in the process of starting a pretty good size project and I'd like to use a state machine workflow in my server application. I'm using the order processing state machine workflow sample to assist in building my concept demo. The one main question I have is, how do I have a state that is like a que/stack that another application monitors and when data enters that state the external app monitoring will pull the data/object do some other workflow/business rules on it and send it back to the server with a new state machine state?

Are there any examples out there? 

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:35 PM

Answers

• Michael,

I'm not too sure what you mean about treating a state like a queue or stack.  Data typically 'arrives for' a state machine via the events (i.e. EventSinkActivities) that the state machine is listening for.    You could choose to send this to a local service, using an InvokeMethod activity.

In Beta2, we will also have state machine instance helper methods that will allow the host to respond to events like the state entrances or transitions.  It will also expose queries like retrieving the set of states, available events / possible next states, etc.

Feel free to respond with more details about your project requirements so we can get a better idea of what you're trying to build.

Thanks!
    Arjun
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 1:07 AM