Created an Excel Add-In with VSTO. It is always on now!! How can I turn it off??? RRS feed

• Question

• Today, I was experimenting with the concept here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/bb839477

Now, whenever I open an Excel file, ANY Excel file, I get this Add-In popping into the Excel file.  I looked in my Excel Add-Ins; nothing there.  So, what’s driving this?  How can I turn it off?

Thanks!!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:17 AM

Answers

• Hi ryguy

Open the Add-in project in Visual Studio (same as if you wanted to do more coding). Go to the Build menu and choose "Clean solution". That's like uninstalling when you've been working with Debug.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by ryguy72 Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hi ryguy

Yes, if you don't want the add-in loading on your development machine you have to remove it propery. Clean solution is the right way.

But if the add-in is still "popping into" Excel, then you certainly didn't dispose of everything.

Did you only test with F5, or did you also test installing? If you tested installing then you need to go to the Control Panel and uninstall it as you would any software.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi ryguy

Open the Add-in project in Visual Studio (same as if you wanted to do more coding). Go to the Build menu and choose "Clean solution". That's like uninstalling when you've been working with Debug.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:15 AM
  • I don't think I have the add-in project anymore.  I was just fiddling with it yesterday and thought I disposed of everything. 

So, I have to rebuild the project, run it, and then run the 'clean solution'?  Do you have to do that EVERY time, or did I do something wrong to cause this to happen?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi ryguy

Yes, if you don't want the add-in loading on your development machine you have to remove it propery. Clean solution is the right way.

But if the add-in is still "popping into" Excel, then you certainly didn't dispose of everything.

Did you only test with F5, or did you also test installing? If you tested installing then you need to go to the Control Panel and uninstall it as you would any software.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Thanks for the follow up, Cindy.  Know what, this seems to have resolved itself.  I just did an F5 test; I didn't install it.  Just by you writing that one line, I can already envision the power of VSTO.  I'm going to spend some significant time in the coming days and weeks and months learning more about this exciting, and quite powerful, technology.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:36 PM