How do I reassign tasks created from SharePoint Designer workflow action "Collect Data from User" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Ok, I've been searching for the solution to this for some time, and I feel as though I must be missing something obvious.

I've created a custom workflow on a custom list in SharePoint 2007 using SPD, and in several steps I use the "Collect data from user" action, which creates a task in the task list as I expect.  My problem is that I cannot reassign this task, regardless of who it's assigned to, no matter what I try.  

It seems that this workflow step is designed to only show the fields I want to "collect data for," which is great.  So when I edit the task, Assigned To is not there, even though it's shown on the view task form.  Again, this is fine, since even if it were there, I'm not sure how it would work because I do not want to complete the task, or save a draft, I just want to change the assigned to field and leave it in whatever state it was in, so that when the new user picks it up and completes it, the main workflow on the custom list will continue.

Ideally I'd like to have a link or a button on the view task or edit task form that prompts for a new assignee, and then changes it, but I'd settle for a secondary "Reassign" workflow on the task list (as suggested in several other posts) that would prompt for new assignee and update the assignee.  But, I can't get that to work either.  I configured a custom workflow but I have two problems:

1. The custom workflow creation wizard doesn't give me the option to specify a user field as an input parameter.  Closest is a single line of text, which I'd have to somehow validate as an actual user.

2. I can't figure out how to launch this workflow from the task list, for any content type.  I've got it associated to the task list (by creating it from Designer...and it shows up in the Task List workflow settings) but there is no Workflows button anywhere on the task list.  

Limitations:

I don't think I can use Visual Studio and I don't have server access, and won't get it.  Only can use designer or the OOTB Sharepoint 2007 workflows.

Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:47 AM

Answers

• In 2007 After a task is assigned to a participant by the workflow, that task cannot be transferred to any other participant (by delegation, forwarding, etc.). However, anyone with the default Contribute permission level to the Tasks list can edit the task item and thus allow the workflow to continue.

While this is possible in Sharepoint 2010.

However in MOSS 2007 there can be a workaround, you can create workflows that assign tasks and escalate those tasks to other people when the tasks are not completed in a certain time period. Please refer this link

http://sharepointsolutions.blogspot.com/2008/10/task-escalation-using-workflows.html

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:43 AM

All replies

• In 2007 After a task is assigned to a participant by the workflow, that task cannot be transferred to any other participant (by delegation, forwarding, etc.). However, anyone with the default Contribute permission level to the Tasks list can edit the task item and thus allow the workflow to continue.

While this is possible in Sharepoint 2010.

However in MOSS 2007 there can be a workaround, you can create workflows that assign tasks and escalate those tasks to other people when the tasks are not completed in a certain time period. Please refer this link

http://sharepointsolutions.blogspot.com/2008/10/task-escalation-using-workflows.html

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  It's good to at least know that this is feasible in SharePoint 2010.  The company I'm working with is upgrading soon so looks like it might be best to just wait for the upgrade.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:12 PM