none
Excel 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the following scenario:

1. a user creates a workbook and edits it using the browser version of Excel 2013 (after he logs in his office365 or sky drive account).

2. the workbook is connected to an external datasource different than SharePoint. The datasource has to be exposed to Excel through a Restfull service.

3. when the user clicks Save, the data from Excel is saved to the external data source through the restfull service.

I'm new to Office365/SkyDrive/Cloud and my question is, is it possible to implement this scenario? If yes could somebody give me some implementation details?

Thanks in advance,Iuliu.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi, Luliu

You can accomplish your scenario with a content app for Excel as well.

To implement this app, you would need to write a normal web service that can read and write to your SQL Azure database.

Then, using HTML, JavaScript, and the JavaScript APIs for Office, you can write a web page to consume your web service and write the data to excel, possibly as a table (the Document.setSelectedDataAsync method would be appropriate). After insertion, you can bind to the table (Bindings.addFromSelectionAsync), catch any Binding.dataChanged events, and read the changes (Binding.getDataAsync).

Let me know if you have questions!

-Michael

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:54 AM

All replies

• Hi luliu,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

1. a user creates a workbook and edits it using the browser version of Excel 2013 (after he logs in his office365 or sky drive account).

What's mean of browser version? Do you want to open it in skydrive?

2. the workbook is connected to an external datasource different than SharePoint. The datasource has to be exposed to Excel through a Restfull service.

Would your please clarify it more clearly? Which kind of data source you will use? A xml based data source? a Microsoft Sql Server link or a Access ADO link?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Hi Tom,

1. By "browser version of Excel" I meant Excel running in the browser - that happens when I open a workbook stored on skydrive. The answer to the question "Do you want to open it in skydrive" is "yes" :).

2. Here are some of the details of what I want to implement:

a) I want to host a restfull service on Azure. The restfull service will expose the data from an Sql Azure Database.

b) I want to manipulate the exposed data through Excel:
    - creating a workbook on skydrive
    - connecting the workbook to the restfull service; if possible implement also some authentication for accessing the restfull service
    - read data into Excel through the service
    - save the modified data back to the database through Excel and the service

------
    Iuliu

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Hi luliu,

It's based on my experience that your goal will hard to approach. OK, let's consult Microsoft's senior engineers for your issue. To see whether here have work round.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Thanks for your answer Tom.

Whom should I address my issue? Or you would talk to the senior engineers?

------

Iuliu

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Hello Luliu,

The following is what is new for Excel 2013.  The keyword to notice is anonymous. 

New Worksheet functions   

Microsoft Excel 2013 Preview adds about fifty new worksheet functions for compatibility with the Open Document Format (ODF 1.2).

And you can now use web service functions (in the Web functions category) to anonymously access REST Web services. Of special note is the FILTERXML function, which lets you use XPath expressions to filter the XML returned by a WEBSERVICE function call.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Hi, Luliu

You can accomplish your scenario with a content app for Excel as well.

To implement this app, you would need to write a normal web service that can read and write to your SQL Azure database.

Then, using HTML, JavaScript, and the JavaScript APIs for Office, you can write a web page to consume your web service and write the data to excel, possibly as a table (the Document.setSelectedDataAsync method would be appropriate). After insertion, you can bind to the table (Bindings.addFromSelectionAsync), catch any Binding.dataChanged events, and read the changes (Binding.getDataAsync).

Let me know if you have questions!

-Michael

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:54 AM