Excel crashes after creating VSTO project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my development environment is:

• Windows 7 64-bit
    • .NET Framework 4.0
    • Office Professional Plus 2013 Update 5
    • Visual Studio Professional 2013
    • Computer fully updated through Windows Update
    • Developing a document-level customization using Visual Basic (Excel workbook)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Open VS
    2. Go to Office/SharePoint tab
    3. Select Excel 2013 Workbook
    4. Choose Create a new document (plain Excel 2013 workbook)
    5. VS successfully creates the project
    6. Save project
    7. Excel crashes

This is causing my Excel projects to fail. For example, if I add a worksheet to the workbook, then debug, such worksheet doesn't appear.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

• Edited by Carlos Mallen Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:31 PM added save dialog
    Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Calos,

With your steps, I could not reproduce your issue.

>> if I add a worksheet to the workbook, then debug, such worksheet doesn't appear.
    Did you mean you add new worksheet from VS workbook design view? I made a test with this, it worked correctly.

>>Sorry, Excel cannot open two workbooks with the same name at the same time.
    If you want to open the workbook from local path, I suggest you close the workbook design view in VS.
    Could you share us which step crashed your excel?

Before you debug your project, I suggest you close all the excel instance from task manager.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Thanks for your response.

1. Add new worksheet. Yes, I added the worksheet from design view.
    2. Step when Excel crashes. It happens after saving the project. I did not have Excel instances open (verified this with the task manager).
    3. Open two workbooks. I did not try to open two workbooks with the same name. VS is sending this message after saving the project. Then it crashes and the project no longer works (i.e., adding worksheets fails).

I am afraid VS, Office, and/or the VSTO runtime got corrupted. All these tasks are very standard and should not be causing probems. I have been using VSTO for several years and it is the first time I get this odd behavior.

Regards,

Carlos

Monday, January 18, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

I found you have posted a similar thread below. If they are the same issue, I could help you to merge them.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/4c31c96d-bac2-49f8-a498-b249f9be572b/cant-delete-worksheet-from-vsto-excel-project?forum=vsto

For this issue, I suggest you refer my reply in above link, and please feel free to let us know the result.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi Edward,

In your answers to the thread above:

• Creating a C# project. Did not work.
    • Repairing VS. Will take me some time as I am at work, but will try to do it this week.

Threads refer to different issues, so it would not be OK to merge them.

Thanks,

Carlos

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

Do you mean Excel still crashes after you uninstall previous Visual Studio?

If you do not add new worksheet, will Excel crash when you save the project?

I suggest you create a new project, and run it directly without adding a new worksheet to check whether this issue still exist.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:45 AM