Pressed start debugging button by mistake... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I hope someone can give me a little advice as I'm panicking.  When in visio studio, there was a project opened and I accidentlly pressed the green play button (start debugging) configuration: Debug.

The project started building, there was quite a few errors.

The reason I'm worried is because the reports are already on the report server; deployed.  I'm concerned I've re-deployed them.  Do you think this is the case?  I'm hoping I've not made a mess of things.  What exactly does this button do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:16 PM

Answers

• In order to deploy the report you need to right click and deploy the report, project, or solution.  When you debug, if a startup object is specified, then the rdl is processed and, if no errors exist a window will open up that contains the report in a report viewer.

Hope this helps.

David Dye
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• Pressing debug alone should not deploy the report, project or solution.  I am somewhat surprised that you did not get a message box like this:

TITLE: Microsoft Report Designer
    ------------------------------

The project cannot be debugged because no starting report is specified.
    In the Project Menu, select Properties and enter a value for StartItem.

BUTTONS:

OK

Hope this helps

David Dye
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Thanks so much for replying.

I got a message saying "there were deployment errors" continue?"  I'm sure I pressed no.

When you say it's not enough to deploy by pressing the debug button, could you explain why this may be the case?

Thanks again
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I forgot to mention, there probably aready is a startItem specified from the original developer
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:48 PM
  • In order to deploy the report you need to right click and deploy the report, project, or solution.  When you debug, if a startup object is specified, then the rdl is processed and, if no errors exist a window will open up that contains the report in a report viewer.

Hope this helps.

David Dye
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I'm pretty new to SSRS so can't help you with your question, but I did hit that button out of habit several times myself and had a similar concern.  What I've done is customized the toolbar to get rid of the button.  Now I can only deploy my reports intentionally!

Won't help you this time, but will prevent future heart attacks :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Thanks folks,

David, does that mean if the window is not opened and I did in fact press NO for the error dialog, I should be ok?

Cheers
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:21 PM
  • You're good to go.  Even if the window opened debugging will not deploy the report.  It is a means to view the report in a window outside of the cramped space of BIDS.

David Dye
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:27 PM
  • that's great, thanks so much for the help, you've put my mind at ease!!

Paul
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:49 PM