none
Error: Unable to open shim database RRS feed

• Question

• I get this kind of events logged in the eventlog:

Source: .Net Runtime
    Type: Error

Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.

Is this 'normal' behaviour or is there a misconfiguration. I have this messages on
    Windows 2003 Server, on SqlServer2005 boxes as well on TFS app tier and Terminal Server running VS2005.

Strange thing is: everythings seems to work OK...

René

Friday, November 11, 2005 7:50 AM

Answers

• As already stated earlier in this thread giving  user-rights onto the key "v2.0.50727.00000" in [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\AppPatch]

should solve the issue. I granted users Read/Write and the problem has not re-occured since then.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:49 PM

All replies

• I have this error 2 when after installing .Net Framework 2.0.

I installed the framework on sevral other servers too but only getting errors on my both TS + Citrix servers..
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:41 PM
  • I'm testing click once deployment, and when i install the msdn click once sample application on a w2003 server, using TS i'm getting this error, and the application does not start....
    Anybody has any idea?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:01 PM
  • I got it too
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 3:13 PM
  • There is a known issue in the v2.0 runtime that is causing this but in general it does not have any negative effects on the machine. What's going on is that there is a "shim database" in the registry that the runtime reads to determine if an application that is about to load the runtime via COM interop really needs an earlier vesion instead.

The problem is that the runtime was incorrectly asking for read/write permission to these reg keys rather than the read access it needed and so if you try to load managed code via com interop in a process that does not have administrator privilages you will get this in your event log and we will choose the runtime for this process as we normally do. This only impacts applications if you are running one of the applications that is in the list that needed the earlier runtime.

The only time we expect this to occur is if you are running Word or Excel 2003 as a non-admin user and you have VSTO 2003 applications installed on the machine. If this is the case for you, you can go to Office Update and the latest critical updates will fix the issue and your applications will work as always (you will still get this entry in the event log).

We plan on addressing this issue as early as possible in an SP we don't know when that would occur.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 6:39 PM
  • Is it safe to uninstall the netframe on the servers that got problems until this issue is solved?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:05 AM
  • The error not only occurs if you are running Word or Excel 2003. It also occured as I downloaded Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware from the Microsoft Download Center caused by the Genuine Microsoft Download check.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:15 AM
  • According to regmon the following keys have an access denied during Excel startup:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration 
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\ProductVersion
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Config
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\InstallRoot
    HKLM\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

HKCR\.htm 

Is it safe to grant the user write permissons to those keys?
    (as a quick work around?)

Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:59 AM
  • We have a VS2005 windows app deployed using a SQL Server 2005 backend on a single computer. This error occurs when the app attempts a connection to the DB in order to save a transaction and, in fact, causes a timeout. It appears to happen at random, twice in a 4 day span. The NT user has restricted rights and does not belong to the administrators group.

This is certainly a major problem.

-nava

Friday, December 16, 2005 6:41 PM
  • Hello Jesse,

It appears this is more of a global issue than just Excel. I am encountering the error running BizTalk 2004 (on 1.1) when an Http Receive is executing.

I suspect any process that wants to host the CLR that lives on the COM side of the fence (could it be any other way right now?) throws this error.

It is a nuisance, but if I understand you correctly, it has no implications otherwise?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 4:17 PM
  • Hi Jesse

Is this error logged in the KB or msdn , can you give me the link for this issue in microsoft site.

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 11:26 AM
  • I am also looking for more information on this issue.

I have an application that has stopped working since installing the final version of VS2005 - It was working OK with the Beta versions, but now when I try to sign on on to my Web app , I get a Server Application Unavailable message. The event logs contains messages

Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 4056) stopped unexpectedly.

The application is an asp.net 2.0 web app calling a asp.net 2.0 web service - it does not use excel, word, biztalk, etc. The application worked for a while after installing VS2005 but has now stopped - I dont know why.

This is an urgent issue for me as it is delaying my development work.

Regards

Aengus O'Sullivan

Updated:

If appears that my asp worker process problem was caused by an error during compilation - using the wrong version of an assembly. Problem solved : sorry for false alarm. However I would still like to fix the

Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000

Thanks

Aengus O'Sullivan

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 12:58 PM
  • Can you run regmon (from sysinternals) and filter on errors only, to see which registry key is actually the culprit?

Tnx

René

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 1:08 PM
  • I am just trying to find out more on this issue. It is showing up in our site's Event Viewer and I am investigating whether or not it is having affects on login time. Currently we are experiencing login times around a minute and a half on the slowest segment of our network and I notice this error being produced a few times during startup and login. Could this potentially be a cause? We have current Office 2003 Updates and are running Visual Studio .NET 2003 in all sites.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:12 AM
  • According to Jesse it is only an access permission issue on one ore more registry keys. If you run Registry Monitor (download from www.sysinternals.com) (no install required, but run it as Administrator) you can find out which registry keys give a Access Denied. The involved registry keys require write permissions.

I cannot imagine that this is causing network problems but it might be related with the start of an appdomain where the starting application is trying to lookup a non-existing server or a wrong route.

René

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:29 AM
  • I am also getting this error only on our TS/Citrix PS 4.0 boxes.  We recently upgraded our servers to 2003 server, office 2003, and MPS 4.0 and I get the .net runtime error every hour or so.
    Monday, January 30, 2006 8:47 PM
  • Aaron Stebner gave the advice to grant user-rights onto the key "v2.0.50727.00000" in [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\AppPatch].

Worked for me with Citrix 4.0 and W2k3 SP1.
    Thursday, February 2, 2006 8:09 AM
  • To get this exactly right:

You gave the Users group Read Permission, or did you granted Full?

Thursday, February 2, 2006 8:17 AM
  • Service Application Unavailble message also appeared to me in ASP.net application. i changed the Application Pool's (win2003 IIS) user to System and this message went away.
    Wednesday, March 8, 2006 7:27 PM
  • I think the root cause is due to the way logging is implemented in my app, since the problem resides when trying to access to a registry entry that doesn't exist and this is because the Source of the event  includes user name making the web service request of my app and it tries to match it to a registry entry, since it's not found it throws a .NET exception.
    • Proposed as answer by Luis Botero Monday, January 12, 2009 8:36 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2006 11:20 AM
  • Recurring error on XP Pro everytime AutoCAD LT 2006 was opened; user reported multiple application hangs, verified in application log. Frustrated user, had to restart. Every time there was an AutoCAD hang it was preceded by the shim database error. All Windows, Office, and AutoCAD updates installed, no problems in any other applications.

He had .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and all updates. Uninstalled all .NET and then reinstalled 2.0, problem appears to be solved, no more application hangs.

Friday, March 31, 2006 8:35 PM
  • Event Viewer:  Application error states

Date 5/11/2006         Source:  .NET Runtime

Time 10:57:41AM    Category:  None

Type:  Error               Event ID:  0

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.

Is this related to the same issue?  We have Windows XP Pro SP2 with Office 2002 and continuously get this error.  Can't find a solution.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:36 PM
  • FYI,
    this error also happens under SQL Server 2005 when assigning the SQL Server Agent Account to an account which is not a member of the admin group (just the SQLServer2005SQLAgentUser$InstanceName group).

Asher.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 12:45 PM
  • What happend to this issue? I do not see any concrete answer from Microsoft. I am Running Win 2003 with the latest .NET 2.0 patch applied from windows update. While trying to run my .NET app (written in .Net 1.2) I get this error.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2300- MyService.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Is this a registry setting error? or related to .NET 2.0????

Please advice.

thanks

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:42 PM
  • As already stated earlier in this thread giving  user-rights onto the key "v2.0.50727.00000" in [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\AppPatch]

should solve the issue. I granted users Read/Write and the problem has not re-occured since then.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:49 PM
  • Yes, I did grant fullcontrol to Authenticated Users on the AppPatch registry folder. But I am still getting the same error. Should I add any other users/groups to this folder?

thanks!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:02 PM
  • I want to second manab's request for a KB or MSDN article about this...

What are the risks of allowing users to write to this section of the registry?

Why is it even necessary to do this?  If the .NET Framework is broken shouldn't it be fixed?  If it is a problem with the application I need to know so I can get the developers to fix whatever the problem is.

In addition the link to Aaron Stebner's blog takes you to the home page - a search for 'shim' finds no matches and so far I've read ~150 of the entries; can someone tell me the name of the entry (or even the month it was written in will do!)?

Many thanks,

Luke

Friday, June 23, 2006 12:35 PM
  • Has any one see this error in the event logs?

No suitable default server credential exists on this system. This will prevent server applications that expect to make use of the system default credentials from accepting SSL connections. An example of such an application is the directory server. Applications that manage their own credentials, such as the internet information server, are not affected by this.

Than ks!

Thursday, August 3, 2006 1:28 AM
  • How to grant fullcontrol on the AppPatch Registry? I'm using Windows 2000 professional edition, I did not find a way to do this modification.
    Sunday, August 6, 2006 3:18 AM
  • Use the regedt32 not regedit

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:35 PM
  • Article ID : 918642

Error ID: 0    "Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000"

Hotfix 32-bit versions

NOTE:  Above "Hotfix" resolved the errors in my application log.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:42 PM
  • I am having the same problem with a ClickOnce application.  We have a shared PC.  I launched the Windows application (VB 2005) as an admin on the box, which downloaded and installed Framework 2.0 and other prerequisites.  The application started without a problem.  I logged off.  Another user logged in and tried to run the application.  Publish.htm started correctly and got as far as the download, then stopped without an error.  The application event log reported the shim database error.  I added a group to v2.0.50727.00000 with full rights.  This did not make any difference.
    Friday, August 18, 2006 1:23 PM
  • It also occurs an a Win2003 server (domain server) running an SQL Server 2005 with its services running as a normal domain user
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:04 AM
  • In a domain environment should i be adding the Authenticated users group and then giving that read/write privaleges?
    Friday, August 25, 2006 7:03 PM
  • You can grant rights by using ntrights tool

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/downloads/ntrights.zip

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:03 AM
  • Has a fix for this problem been created?   Does Microsoft agree that the solution is to give the localmachine\users group read/write access instead of read? 

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:16 PM
  • Does microsoft support the solution of giving the localmachine\users group full controll of the registry key mentioned or will this be fixed in a future SP?

We get one instance of this issue in the event log and then each application that is accessed in a specific app pool fails.  The failing applications are attempting to run under the 2.0 framework and post access denied warnings to the event log even though they are mapped to 1.1 in IIS.  So in our situation this is not a harmless problem, although it doesn't happen often it does cause a lot of problems in a production environment. 

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:25 PM
  • There is a hotfix for this at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918642

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:50 AM
  • I got the same problem and happened after updating .Net Framesork 2.0 on a Citrix Server.  I will try to reverse the updates, I hope it will fix the problem.  Microsoft claim they have the fix but when you go to the link they provide, the page is not displayed.  See article 918642
    Saturday, November 18, 2006 1:58 AM
  • The information in the link leads to no were, the link in the page leads to a page not found.  The Citrix server was down and I could not RDP to the server.

I removed .Net Framework patches KB922770, KB917283 and I was able to RDP and the Citrix is back online

Saturday, November 18, 2006 2:33 AM
  • Rather than uninstalling the 2.0 Framework, go to add/remove programs, click on change/remove for "Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0" and then choose repair.  At the end of the repair it will ask to reboot your system.  When the system comes back up, the CPU time will throttle to 99% for 5-10 minutes with the process "mscor...." (I can't remember the full name of the process).  After that you should be fixed.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2006 5:39 PM
  • I'm still noticing logs of 2.0 errors in the event view.  It appears that v1.1 will occasionally have a .net runtime error, after which all applications in the app pool post access denied errors trying to write to c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0...\temporary asp.net files.  These applications are all mapped to the 1.1 framework and should not be writing or accessing the 2.0 temporary files. 

Any idea why this might be happening?  All 2.0 applications are run in a seperate application pool. 

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 7:26 PM
  • The 'broken link' from the hotfix page is miraculously fixed if you go to connect.microsoft.com and set up a profile for yourself. Note the broken link is in this subdomain. Yet another data-mining misadventure from our friends in redmond, no doubt established just to further enhance the microsoft experience, this time just for developers? Please, Bill, please...
    Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:13 AM
  • Actually the page still does not work for me, and I do have my live account associated with it and so on, as well as MCSE/A information for microsofts main page. Error ID #6877fe95-2901-480b-ad2d-203da6a35e64 
    Monday, January 22, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  Jorgen Aker wrote:

There is a hotfix for this at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918642

It is so great that microsoft posts a fix that only members of "Microsoft Connect" can access.  How about the rest of us eh?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  GregSRJ wrote:
    Actually the page still does not work for me, and I do have my live account associated with it and so on, as well as MCSE/A information for microsofts main page. Error ID #6877fe95-2901-480b-ad2d-203da6a35e64 

Once I went to the connect home page and registered and reloaded the page, it took me to the download page.  As as added bonus, you have to accept and install an ActiveX control as the download manager...seems a bit excessive just to get a hotfix

Thursday, February 1, 2007 3:39 PM
  • I have been having this issue on any Citrix PS 4.0 terminal server that I install .net 2.0 framework on.  it would throw the generic .net error, then explorer.exe would fault kernel32.dll and the shell would crash and restart for any user that attempted to use the built-in windows search.

I downloaded and ran the hotfix above, and it got rid of the .net error message in the event log, but did not fix the crash behavior.  some hotfix!

I then gave users full control on the apppatch key, and still running a windows search crashes explorer.exe/kernel32.dll

ugh!  any ideas???  the problem goes away as soon as I uninstall .net 2.0 -- and if I try to run search as an admin account it works fine...

Thursday, February 8, 2007 5:31 PM
  • well it looks like my problem is related to the fact that i'm redirected the Local Application Data folder in users' profiles away from the default location.  I am doing this because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has the Quick Access Toolbar settings in Office 2007 save to this local app data folder (which does not roam with users' roaming profiles, and is therefore lost EVERY time they log off and back on).  My redirect workaround saves their quick access toolbar settings, but evidently .net 2.0 does not like it.  sigh.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 5:50 PM
  • I am reading in the email forum that the registry key is

http://forum.chimera.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=716&sid=2e244d48721b5fb17768449ce5a1a0d6

Giving users read/write rights to the key "v2.0.50727.00000" in [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\AppPatch]

Regards,

Jamie

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Any luck with the hotfix? I get the same file not found message.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:51 PM
  • You can get a hotfix for this problem from Microsoft. The KB article is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918642/en-us
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 12:10 AM
  • hi All,

i have same problem, due to this my developement work delayed.

please let me know if any body knows fix for this problem.

i tried option like giving write permission for user to registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.
    then error gone but symptom still there.

To download hot fix which located at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76566&clcid=0x409 but i am getting page not found error.can any one help me in this.

--suru

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

To get the hotfix http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76566&clcid=0x409,  you should register with Microsoft Connect first.

https://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx

After it reload this page and download the hotfix!

Good Luck

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I'm registered but I still don't have permission to download the fix, what gives??
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:52 AM
  • It is strange, I did it OK.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 6:02 PM
  • I can't get the fix either.  I'm not sure how I am to get this hotfix other then paying for it through a microsoft partner.  If anyone can help me out that would be great.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:46 PM

• My Event err:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.
    So i think i am on topic

This link worked but the fix didn't
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

The Microsoft File Transfer Manager (wtf) needed extra ports opened up then it downloaded fine but i think i really need the x64 version
    the hotfix http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76566&clcid=0x409

Monday, May 14, 2007 5:01 PM
  •  Julian1313 wrote:

This link worked but the fix didn't
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

The Microsoft File Transfer Manager (wtf) needed extra ports opened up then it downloaded fine but i think i really need the x64 version
    the hotfix http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76566&clcid=0x409

I couldn't get the link to work at first but after multiple attempts (hit back then retry the link) I got to the download page at least (using IE7)

Good luck

<edit>actually this didn't work, i had managed to open a download for the .NET 1.1 redist. Julian1313, what ports did you open? AFAIK File Transfer Manager works via HTTP and HTTPS</edit>

Monday, May 28, 2007 12:22 AM
  • This solution worked for me.Thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:08 PM