I can't access the traditional desktop

Question

• Hello everyone, as the title says, I can't find the traditional desktop! I'm using the Windows Developer Preview and it's working fine, but today I couldn't find the traditional desktop, it's not in the Metro interface anymore and I can't find it anywhere, so I can't access :/ Has this happened to anyone here? Or does anyone know how to find it somewhere? I tried searching but I still don't find it.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:20 PM

All replies

• Have you installed any programs? If I click on a program I installed it switches to the desktop.

If you unpinned it, searching "desktop" should show it and allow you to right click, then pin it back to Metro.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Hello Agus_x_12,

You should be able to search "Desktop" while in the Metro interface and right-click it and pin it. In the future an easier way to enter the traditional desktop is to press the Windows key on your keyboard. 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:47 PM
  • In the future an easier way to enter the traditional desktop is to press the Windows key on your keyboard. 

That doesn't work if you've opened a Metro app - then the Windows key switches you from Metro to the last opened app. 

Added:

The Windows Key only switches you to the desktop if the desktop was the last place you were.

• Edited by TrekDozer Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:59 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Have you installed any program like CCleaner,TuneUP or similar? This is a common problem that is happening but we have not found any solution yet.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your help. After this issue I restarted my computer and when it was starting I got the new blue screen, so it restarted again but then I got another blue screen and it restarted for the third time, but now it said it was going to repair and then it restarted for the fourth time. I left for a while, then I saw it was repairing the hard drive, then it checked the hard drive and when it restarted for the fifth time, it just didn't start. I went to my aunt's house because I had to get something, and I told my dad to try to repair it. I came back, it was repaired and I was able to access the desktop and other stuff that was gone as well (lots of apps were gone as well as the Computer icon and the Help and Support Center, but if I just got the desktop back I could still access from there). I don't have the Feedback/Report a Bug tool, so I'm not able to tell this to Microsoft, but I'll get it later, thanks again for your help :).
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Since a repair didn't help, I believe you should try a refresh of your PC.
    The refresh should help to get back your desktop.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you see the desktop.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:05 AM