Enter a VB Expression RRS feed

• Question

• I can't express in words the cringe factor that envelopes me when I see the "Enter A VB Expression" mandate when specifying a workflow. I am a C# developer, have been for almost 10 years and I do not like VB, have never liked VB, will never like VB and don't want anything to do with VB. Requiring a .Net developer to mix in elements from a specific language into their application to leverage part of the core .Net framework is a terrible idea and is certainly counter to the entire philosophy of .Net. I developed workflows under the 3.0/3.5 framework. Although the performance of the designer was absolutely awful,

• The technology was/is sound.
    • I was not required to write VB expressions 
    • It wasn't missing something absolutely essential such as, I don't know...A STATE MACHINE ?!?

I realize that there are efforts to add state machines to WF4. That's good news of course but I'm rather mystified, if not agog, as to how WF shipped without this essential component. However what I really want to know is this: Are there efforts being made to eliminate the need for C# developers, who care not one whit for VB, to write VB expressions? If I'm developing a project in C#, i want to see a watermark that says "Enter a C# Expression" !

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:05 PM

Answers

• @NTDeveloper,

I want to assure you that your feedback is heard.  Please follow up with the team by logging a bug on the connect site here.  At this time we aren't commenting much on future plans, but we have been thinking about how we can enable this functionality in a future release.

--matt

Program Manager -- wf designer -- http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:36 PM

All replies

• @NTDeveloper,

I want to assure you that your feedback is heard.  Please follow up with the team by logging a bug on the connect site here.  At this time we aren't commenting much on future plans, but we have been thinking about how we can enable this functionality in a future release.

--matt

Program Manager -- wf designer -- http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:36 PM
  • I cannot agree more!!! decisions like these are just maddening!
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:38 PM
  • nay - sickening! In fact all of this is just a waste of space. the more i look at the microsoft stack the more i wonder why it should be used at all. It's complicated, doubtful its used internally in their own organisation, so the proof of whether any of it works is left to us.  What on earth is all this complexity? Sure i get the architectural underpinnings of it all, but if this constant churn of relearn is keeping you all in jobs over there at the expense of my own productivity out here then shame on you.

Here's a tip. when you hit V3 of any of your products - STOP! You did it! Now walk away, and innovate in some other domain.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:17 AM
  • @Bolox,

You would like us to be on Windows 3.1 still?

Support for C# expressions is apparently alive in .NET 4.5 along with some more designer goodies.  My concern is actually the opposite of the OPs.  I develop in C#/C++/asm but I do not want my users to have to "Enter a C# Expression"  I hope that the Workflow language is configurable for re hosted designers.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:55 PM