Network Traffic on internal network RRS feed

• Question

• How can I setup the program so that I can verify the traffic usage from my home private network using 192.168.1 class C an what traffic is LEAVING through the router to my carrier?  My carrier is saying that I am using a LOT more traffic than I believe that I am but I have no way at this time to find out which of my systems that are behind my router is causing the traffic.  Need a way to find out if one of my systems is really causing this or if the carrier is wrong and just trying to get me to buy a bigger pipe.  And yes ALL of my wireless traffic is locked down with MAC addresses, so no one is hopping on my network outside of my house.

Thanks for any suggestions that you have on setting up the software....

Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Sman,

You can configure Network Monitor to use "Promiscuous mode" on your adapter by clicking on the "P-mode" button in the adapter selection window after clicking on your adapter.

This will show you all the traffic coming to your machine instead of that just destined to it.  However, you router is probably only sending traffic to your machine that it's interested in, so you have to configure it to not do the smart routing or to have your machine act as a monitor port to receive all the traffic.

Then you can collect a trace and use one of our expert analysis tools such as TopUsers or TopProtocols to figure out who and what's going on in your network.

Hope that helps get you started,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    • Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:24 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:44 PM
  • And yes ALL of my wireless traffic is locked down with MAC addresses, so no one is hopping on my network outside of my house.

Just to pick up on this part of your post, MAC address filtering isn't a very secure method of keeping people off your network. See this link - apologies for the inflammatory title

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

_ _ / . _ / _ / _
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:14 PM