none
Can we Reusing a Receive Location for Multiple Applications in Biztalk ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone.

Can we reuse a receive location of one application into another by referencing that application into other ?

Thanks in Advance.

Sunday, October 29, 2017 6:04 PM

All replies

• Yes you can re-use a receive location in multiple applications if you are use message based routing rather than binding to to port from an Orchestration,

But you will usually want to avoid referencing other applications due to the fact that if you need to make a change in the referenced application you have to uninstall the referencing application before you can re-install the referenced application.

If you find that multiple applications need to reference the same schemas, and these schemas are unlikely to change, or if when they change you deploy them as a new version, then I would suggest a Common Schemas application that just contains the common schemas, and both of the applications reference this.

Monday, October 30, 2017 12:07 AM
  • Hi ,

Yes it can be done. You can reference one application into another application using the BizTalk Admin console.

But you should not do it. Let me explain the reason.

1) If you reference one application into another, that creates an entry in the BizTalk Mgmt Db indicating that an application references another application.

2) Say you refer App A in B. Now if you want to deploy the application A, you need to un reference the app A from B to do so.

3) This creates a complexity in the deployment process

This can be avoided in two ways

1) Create a separate receive location per application in BizTalk ( Preferred Approach)

2) Use the Direct Bind Port and create one single receive location( Avoid this as long as you can)

Do let us know why you plan on using same receive location in multiple application.

My advice from experience just go for separate receive locations.!!

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, October 30, 2017 3:26 AM
  • I need to pull messages from dead letter queue (MSMQ) from multiple applications for that I have a receive location created which I want to use from multiple applications.

I have tried referencing the application (has a receive location) to other application however its not showing anything like receive location that I can reuse

• Edited by _NiLeSh Monday, October 30, 2017 6:54 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Why not create a separate receive location/

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, October 30, 2017 6:59 AM
  • because the address would be same (I am receiving messages from single MSMQ queue).
    • Edited by _NiLeSh Monday, October 30, 2017 7:33 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi, 

using a message broker pattern for instance could send a once received message from mq to various targets, which in turn could be addressed by the equivalent of a receive location each to read the messages again and provide them for various applications.

hth

Paul Endras |  ENDRAS IT CONSULTING

If this answers your question and is a helpful post, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/orMark As Answer.

• Edited by Paul Endras Monday, October 30, 2017 7:43 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Hi Nilesh,

You can have two options

1) Create one parent orchestration which picks up the messages from the Queue and then send out these messages to different orchestrations having separate receive location

2) Use Direct bound receive location, based on the rules promote the properties in the receive pipeline and then make each of different subscribers subscribe the message based on the promoted properties( i.e filter on receive shape of orchestration or filter on the send port)

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, October 30, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi Nilesh,

are you receiving many different message types from the same queue?

------------------------------------

Leon Glaz

If this answers your question and is a helpful post, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Can you guide how can add reference of receive location to other application and use it step by step, because I have added reference of bts application however I don't see any receive location getting pop up for reuse.

Thank you.

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:29 AM
  • A suggestion : Do not use application referencing until it is unavoidable. have you looked at the options that I have shared?

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:46 AM